Dumb Question

Reaction score
I know this is prob a dumb question, but what is lunix. I keep seeing people say they use to run linux. Is it a OS?

Reaction score
And while it is much easier to use today than it was just a few years ago, it is still not exactly what you would call user friendly. However, it is quite powerful and if you like experminting give one a try. There are quite a few variations that you can try. Just expect a lot of head banging...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
In fact there are more than 357 Linux variations listed in DistroWatch and the people tend to make there own depending on there taste and requirements. There are also so called "Live" variations you can boot from a CD/DVD and run it just like any other operating system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
No offence to any nerds out there but linux is considered a "nerdy os". I have only used it one and it was similar to windows. There are many versions of it, many of them free. You can even install it on a ps3! lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
Linux can be a bit "nerdy" depending on which distro you wish to use. I have Suse 10 running on a PC here its up up and running for close to 9 months with one shut down (power failure). Suse would not be considered "nerdy" :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.