editing received e-mail subject

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.26GHz 2GB OSX 10.6.3
I would like to be able to edit the subject of e-mails I received from people who did not use a meaningful subject.
I did get as far as editing the files somewhere on the notebook, using text editor, and saving the file, but the mail reader does not show the changed text in the mail overview, only in the subject line of the e-mail.

I would like the mail reader 'mail' to support easy editing...

Any suggestions how to do this by hand as long this is not supported?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
If I understand your intention correctly, to make changes to a received email, simply forward the email to yourself. That allows editing of all details, including Subject field. You can either print the amended email, or save it.

Depending on which email application you're using, the amended email will not get sent unless you Queue it.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.26GHz 2GB OSX 10.6.3
This is not what I want, the result is not the same; I would get an e-mail posted buy myself instead of the original sender.

If the option to make a correction to the e-mail subject of a received e-mail is not implemented, this should be added to the 'mail' application.
It can be done in several other e-mail clients, Messenger Pro on RISC OS and Outlook on Windows.

Where should I ask for this functionality on Mac OS X Mail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
The option given may not be what you want, but it's what is available to you. What you want is not available in Mail, I think. But then, I didn't know you could do it in Outlook.

By the way, Mac OS X Mail is not one thing. It's two. Mail comes with OS X on the installation discs, along with several other Apple applications. My version of Mail is 3.6 but my OS is 10.5.8

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.