Running Windows on my iMac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
WOW, it is FAST!!!! It's amazing. I can't wait to game on this baby...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Haha, but just be aware that by just even being connected to the internet, that with out virus software, you will get a virus. Get some software immediately!

Reaction score
dimagex20 said:
Haha, but just be aware that by just even being connected to the internet, that with out virus software, you will get a virus.

No you won't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
It depends what internet sites you go to. If you dont go anywhere suspicious, you should be fine.. I guess its time to get a copy of Norton, just to be on the safe side...

Reaction score
macEfan said:
I guess its time to get a copy of Norton, just to be on the safe side...
:( I am going to have to disagree

edit: I'll elaborate. There are better options...

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh god...

Exactly. PEOPLE, I HAVE BEEN USING THE FRIGGIN OS FOR THE PAST TEN YEARS OR SO OF MY LIFE!!!(with the exception of the past two mac-filled months) I know what to do with Windows. I installed Norton Internet Security as soon as I loaded Windows. Then, Ad-Aware and Spybot, then Windows Defender and you're fine.

Windows isn't a bad OS, and if people bash Windows in this thread, I will seriously consider leaving the site. It's just ignorant fools who have no clue what they're doing screw their computers on a good OS and blame the OS for their idiocy.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, good news- No kernel panic when I go back to OS X! So happy...

BTW, did I mention windows runs FAST? I mean FAST. So fast that I can load a webpage in Firefox before you can say fast. I can load a huge battle in Rome: Total War before you finish this paragraph.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
BlindingLights said:
Okay, good news- No kernel panic when I go back to OS X! So happy...

BTW, did I mention windows runs FAST? I mean FAST. So fast that I can load a webpage in Firefox before you can say fast. I can load a huge battle in Rome: Total War before you finish this paragraph.

Nice! I'll have to wait a bit to see how well it handles Vista, but I'm thinking I see a new Mac purchase in the next year or so. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
BlindingLights said:
Windows isn't a bad OS, and if people bash Windows in this thread, I will seriously consider leaving the site. It's just ignorant fools who have no clue what they're doing screw their computers on a good OS and blame the OS for their idiocy.

I'm not going to windows "bash" here, but I have been a longtime Windows user as well. I can't see how anyone can consider an OS that requires one to install several different 3rd party programs just to keep it secure and prevent it from from becoming infected, "good". When even the producer of the OS admits that some problems can't be fixed and the answer is to reinstall the OS on a regular basis, "good" definitely doesn't come to mind. I'd say it is acceptable to use if you take the proper precautions, but "good" just doesn't work. Mind you, I still use Win 2K and XP daily in a corporate environment and problems STILL exist with the locked down machines, so I'm not some random "Mac Head" throwing stones here.

Now, if you secure it, it may be good, but the fact that you even need to secure it, in my mind, prevents me from considered it good.

And I'm sorry, if you come to a forum called "Mac-Forums" and can't stand people disliking an MS OS, then maybe you don't need to be here to begin with.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
mynameis said:
:( I am going to have to disagree

edit: I'll elaborate. There are better options...

AGREED!

I Dislike anything from Norton these days! :spook:

I hope my dislike for Norton does not hurt anyone here, but most people these days on both sides of the fence have lost respect for Norton products. Way back when, I used to use Norton products on both PC and Mac systems, but of late they really have gone down hill.

On my XP machines I just use a Free Anti Virus like Anti Vir. Never has a virus gotten through and hurt my machines in 3 years now of using it and it's free.

Right now I use nothing on my Macs at all. There is no need at the present, but if the need ever arises, I hope there is something besides Norton avalible!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
haha norton *rolls eyes*

T

tenbellys

i bet it would run alot faster too if you dropped norton and got something else in is place ;)

note, im not bashing norton, im just saying there are better alertatives out there before i get bashed for bashing windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
baggss said:
I'm not going to windows "bash" here, but I have been a longtime Windows user as well. I can't see how anyone can consider an OS that requires one to install several different 3rd party programs just to keep it secure and prevent it from from becoming infected, "good". When even the producer of the OS admits that some problems can't be fixed and the answer is to reinstall the OS on a regular basis, "good" definitely doesn't come to mind. I'd say it is acceptable to use if you take the proper precautions, but "good" just doesn't work. Mind you, I still use Win 2K and XP daily in a corporate environment and problems STILL exist with the locked down machines, so I'm not some random "Mac Head" throwing stones here.

Now, if you secure it, it may be good, but the fact that you even need to secure it, in my mind, prevents me from considered it good.

And I'm sorry, if you come to a forum called "Mac-Forums" and can't stand people disliking an MS OS, then maybe you don't need to be here to begin with.

I totally agree with you, baggss...
I personnally think that, since the whole MacIntel and BootCamp stuff came up, there's way too much Windows-talk around here, and with about maybe 5-10% of them being usefull posts, the rest's just crap talking filling up the forum's server...

I'm not bashing Windows, every OS has it's good and bad sides...nevertheless this is a Mac forum...please keep that in mind when posting.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Avalon said:
I totally agree with you, baggss...
I personnally think that, since the whole MacIntel and BootCamp stuff came up, there's way too much Windows-talk around here, and with about maybe 5-10% of them being usefull posts, the rest's just crap talking filling up the forum's server...

I'm not bashing Windows, every OS has it's good and bad sides...nevertheless this is a Mac forum...please keep that in mind when posting.

That is one thing I have to completely agree with. I wish down inside that Apple could have worked something out and stuck with IBM CPU's. The whole move to Intel and now Boot Camp has caused way too much Windows talk in the Mac community. Since Apple did go to Intel and with so much Windows out there in the world, I can understand some people need Windows for their work and it does make it nice to have one system that does both, but it's triggered way to much talk about Windows and fighting on Mac Forums I visit. I really don't like fighting and arguing at all. I really love to help people with their problems and questions with Mac's and OSX.

Windows is a Very good OS and clearly the best Windows ever. But, this is a Mac forum and we should keep it Apple/Mac related unless someone needs help with BootCamp or whatever. A little talk here and there is ok, but a lot of this will just end up in a war.

I have my Windows systems for some work I HAVE to do and gaming, but it's the Mac and OSX that drew me to these forums and that I use Daily and love.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
One thing some members should realize is that this is a "Mac" forum. It is not just an "OS X" forum. If that was the case, then I agree that Window's should not be talked about because it would have no place there. But all of the hardcore Apple users need to face the facts: Apple as you know it is over. Window's will be run on these machines from here on out. Maybe Apple won't contribute anymore towards Boot Camp after the Beta version, or maybe it is the foundation for a massive exodus to a Window's based platform. At this point we simply don't know. So if you still insist on posting stupid things such as "as soon as windows connects to the internet you get a virus" then expect to be bashed and made fun of. Whether you like it or not, Windows is now a part of the Mac experience, whether you choose to join in or not is entirely up to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Were people really just complaining about the content of the "anything goes" portion of this forum? :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Apple made installing Windows on Macs easier, that's correct. Nevertheless Macs aren't shipping with Windows, nor does Apple give any support on that matter...and eventhough I can easily understand why some people want to have both on their Mac, it is still a minority, and not changing the whole Apple community, and is definitely not part of the Mac experience. It's just a bonus that people can choose to have or not, depending on their needs and likes.

I have no problem talking about Windows, or even help people with it, if I can...but as I said, from all the posts about Windows I've seen here, only very few are really worth talking about, as it mostly ends up in either a bashing flame thread, or stupid posts like "you'll get a virus as soon as you connect it on th Internet".
And this simply is annoying, and just fills up the forum (not just the "Anything goes"-section) with lots of nonsense. It's not even entertaining...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
i agree with techster.

Like it or not, Macs do Windows. I personally am not a fan, but that is my opinion and i don't see the need to force it upon others. I choose to run OS X because I believe it to be a superior OS.

If you need to run WIndows then so be it. I never had any major problems with it and so i don't bash it.

Just my 2 cents

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do remember, just because this post is in Anything Goes, there are still rules for the Anything Goes section also. The Mods here recently posted about that in fact. Even in Anything Goes there is no name calling or bashing of fighting allowed. Like Avalon stated, a lot of these Windows threads end in a war with wrong comments from both sides. As long as it can be kept in control, I have no problem with posts or questions about Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.