Is there any software similar to Windows Media Player for Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
Is there anything on the Mac which has a similar interface to WMP? I know there iTunes obviously; but its not to brilliant for finding artist or album information, I don't find it as advance as WMP. Is thee any software out there a little better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
What info do you need to find?
iTunes has everything you need really. I don't know of a media player with a similar interface to WMP.
Other players worth a look ta would be VLC and Cog I guess. There are others, which I will leave for someone else to suggest.

OP
stemo4001
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
What info do you need to find?
iTunes has everything you need really. I don't know of a media player with a similar interface to WMP.
Other players worth a look ta would be VLC and Cog I guess. There are others, which I will leave for someone else to suggest.

Well; I've found with iTunes, they will only give you the information for an entire album, if you want the info for a single track...you have to fill it in the info yourself; which is kinda lame seeing as on WMP you can find the info for a single track easily. I've tried VLC; which is good for the playing various formats, but I haven't found a way of retrieving album info on it. Cog I have not yet tried though; so I'll go with that for now. :)

It's old, but how about Windows Media Player for Mac?

Apple - Downloads - Video - Windows Media Player for Mac OS X

I've tried it; its very limited compared to the PC version, plus you can't search for artist/album information.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well; I've found with iTunes, they will only give you the information for an entire album, if you want the info for a single track...you have to fill it in the info yourself; which is kinda lame seeing as on WMP you can find the info for a single track easily. I've tried VLC; which is good for the playing various formats, but I haven't found a way of retrieving album info on it. Cog I have not yet tried though; so I'll go with that for now. :)

iTunes will pull in all of that info automatically if you import the music from a CD. And of course, any track you download from iTMS will contain it already.

If you need to examine existing files and label them, might I suggest TuneUp?

Download TuneUp | Digital Music Management & Discovery Software

Once all of your stuff is properly labeled, searching is a snap. And of course, in list view, you can sort by any of the criteria you want.

OP
stemo4001
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
I'm not understanding what is difficult about pressing command-i.

There is no difficulty doing that; its just that I prefer to be supplied with the correct song information instead of having to fill it in myself, its not a major hassle...its just I'm used to being supplied with the info.

This could also help:
equinux - Apple Software for finding, applying ID3 meta tag music information

And thank you schweb; I've just downloaded it, its exactly what I'm looking for. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.