Word 2011 For Mac

Reaction score
I have Word 2011 for Mac and everything works fine except when I open Word files that were created on a PC on my Mac, they are all margins are all unaligned and fonts are different sizes. If I take the time to fix everything the send it back to my PC, the same thing happens. I can understand the fonts being different, but I use just basic fonts (Arial, Times New Roman) and it happens. I'm a little scared of sending out resumes from my Mac because everything looks fine but if the person on the receiving end is on a PC then I'll look like a retard. Any help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum. The iOS and Apps forum is for mobile devices and their applications not applications for the Mac.

What version of Office were the files on the PC created with? The reason I ask is because I have transposed files from Word 2003, Word 2007, and Word 2010 to my Mac with no change of fonts, borders, margins, etc. That's with both Word 2008 and Word 2011 on the Mac. There may be some inconsistencies when going from Word 97, 2000, or XP, if I remember correctly.

Have you tried to create a resumé on your Mac and then viewed it on your PC?

OP
C
Reaction score
They were created with one of the latter versions you mentioned (I'm guessing Word XP or 2000) I haven't tried to create a resume on my Mac and put it on my PC, I'll try that. If I copy all the text from the PC Word version, open a new document on the Mac version and paste the text, would that fix the margins?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's one way of doing it. But copying and pasting can be tedious if you're working with a large document.

I've had problems with transposing files from the older versions of Word that I mentioned above. I had to re-do many of my templates that I previously used in Word XP as they would not work right on the Mac.

Anyway, you really need to do some testing if you get a chance. Create a mock up resumé and then try to open it in Windows Word to see what it looks like. Use both the *.doc and *.docx format. The *.docx format is a better choice nowadays.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.