how to get rid of firefox icon on desktop ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
I have 2 firefox icons on when I signed on. One at desktop, the other at dock,
when I tried to get rid of the desktop icon by dragging to trash, it says 'firefox cannot be moved to the trash because it is open'. What gives ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
First, you have to exit/quit out of firefox by right-clicking on firefox on the dock. Once closed, delete to one on the desktop. Make sure you empty the trash afterwards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And check you have actually installed Firefox in the Applications folder. If so, drag the desktop icon to the Trash and empty. If not, double click the one on the desktop and drag the icon to the Applications folder. The icon in the Dock is simply an alias, or a short cut.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
First, you have to exit/quit out of firefox by right-clicking on firefox on the dock. Once closed, delete to one on the desktop. Make sure you empty the trash afterwards.

And check you have actually installed Firefox in the Applications folder. If so, drag the desktop icon to the Trash and empty. If not, double click the one on the desktop and drag the icon to the Applications folder. The icon in the Dock is simply an alias, or a short cut.

I would do what harryb2448 suggested first. It sounds like you didn't correctly install firefox.

After you launch the dmg file with firefox you need to drag the firefox icon into your applications folder. Then you can eject and delete the firefox dmg file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.