Hardware Questions

Reaction score
Hello all, I am looking into buying a second hand G4 733 system. However, it only comes with a 40gig HDD and I plan to do video editing with it, so that will not do. My question is: can you stick any hard drive in the puppies, or do u have to buy specific ones that are compatible with macs. And what about disk drives? I know the g4 comes with a dvd burner, but im guessing not dual layer. can u put any dvd burner into it? thanks guys!

-Daem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I assume it's a PowerMac G4? In that case, any 3.5" IDE hard disk should work up to 128GB. There is a limitation in the PowerMac G4 IDE controller that limits the maximum size to 128GB, although if you buy a Mac compatible PCI IDE controller (Sonnet do one, but it's not cheap) you can use any sized new drive.

OP
Daemian
Reaction score
yes you are correct that it is a powermac. so you are saying i can slap in any ide HDD, just nothing mare than 128 gig? would it be ok if I were to leave the 40 gig original hdd, and install 128 gig as a slave?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
if i remember correctly, that is what i did when i installed an 80 gig to suppliment the 10 gig that came with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.