Cases - iPad Mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
A long time ago, on AppAdviceDaily, Robin showed a Third Party case for the iPad2 which covered the back of the iPad and worked together with the Apple SmartCover - in colours to match.

Does anyone know what they are called and if they are available for the iPad Mini yet please?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
It seems this SmartCase might be the answer - better than two separate products.

I assume there will be one of these for the iPad Mini eventually?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
My wife has that newer smart case on her iPad 3 while i have the regular smart cover on my iPad 2 and it works pretty well. Having the all around cover is nice to avoid scratches on the back of the iPad that mine has developed over time..

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I like this case
Amazon.com: Slim and Compact Leather Folio Case Cover for The New Apple iPad MINI 7.9" inch - Features Built-in Viewing stand and converts into convenient Typing angle **Includes free Stylus** by Manvex: Computers & Accessories

They are cheap (I paid an average of $4.5 each for the two I bought) fit and work well, and really improve the handling of the iPad Mini.
Admittedly, they require minor surgery to be their best. The cut-out for the Home Button isn't quite large enough and needs a bit of work with a razor blade or punch, and the first thing I did was pitch the Stylus and remove the elastic Loop. Now it looks and handles like a mid-sized book. Very nice!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Mike, that case doesn't have the magnetic on/off functionality does it? I find that feature to be quite nice to avoid leaving the iPad on for extended periods of time when I am not using it..

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Not sure, maybe not. I will check.
FWIW I hate the magnetic off capability and don't use it. Instead I default my iPad to turn off after 15 minutes idle, or hit the sleep button when I want it to go down immediately.

EDIT: No, doesn't have the magnetic off capability

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
I have one of the rear covers for my iPad 3 that you speak of. Works fine with the Smartcover but I now use the integrated Apple SmartCase instead and it works fine. Would love it if they offered the same SmartCase for the Mini as well and I would immediately buy one to replace my SmartCover for that little guy.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have one of the rear covers for my iPad 3 that you speak of. Works fine with the Smartcover but I now use the integrated Apple SmartCase instead and it works fine. Would love it if they offered the same SmartCase for the Mini as well and I would immediately buy one to replace my SmartCover for that little guy.

I am hoping that Apple will eventually offer one of those for the iPad Mini :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I like the cases that look like they are books. From Portenzo or Dodo Case. Ordered one from Portenzo still waiting for it. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I like the cases that look like they are books. From Portenzo or Dodo Case. Ordered one from Portenzo still waiting for it. >_>"

The BookBook from TwelveSouth is beautifully made and they have made me a customer for life. iP4s, iP5 and iPad3 have the BookBook cover.
They will be working on one for the iPad Mini im sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.