any way to avoid multiple downloads in itunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 4Gb/320Gb iPad 3G 64Gb iPhone 3GS 32Gb
I have iphones and ipad, when there's a new ios update (like recent 4.3.2) I'm forced to download repeatedly for each device.
Isn't there any way to download just once, and update each device from that? Checked the other threads, and couldn't seem to find anything...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Try this..after you've downloaded the latest update, an IPSW file, do the update on the device that prompted the download. Then plug in the next device and open up the device in iTunes and go to the Summary page. Now you see the "Check for updates" and "Restore" buttons. Now hold down the ALT key and then hit "Restore" and point it to the just downloaded iOS update file.

Make sure you do a backup when prompted, and then allow it to "restore" to the newer version of iOS and once done, restore the backup that you made to get all of your stuff back.

Look at this for more information: iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch software

Regards

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm going to guess that the updates for each device are different given that they are different devices with different hardware. Despite having the same version number, my guess is that the the firmware is tailored to the device - no point giving me the iPhone firmware for my iPod Touch for instance. My suggestion would be to let iTunes update as it sees fit. I reckon that trying to update your different devices with the same firmware IPSW is going to cause nothing but issues.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a valid point Vansmith..

Regards

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 4Gb/320Gb iPad 3G 64Gb iPhone 3GS 32Gb
Thanks both. Would tend to agree with vansmith under most circumstances. However, did note that this update explicitly stated it was for both devices (also iPod and others). Will ry Raz0rEdge suggestion next time, and see what happens...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks both. Would tend to agree with vansmith under most circumstances. However, did note that this update explicitly stated it was for both devices (also iPod and others). Will ry Raz0rEdge suggestion next time, and see what happens...

Fair enough and be absolutely certain to backup the data before you try anything..you may want to do that even before starting the restore process just in case..wouldn't want you losing whatever is on your devices..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.