Safari crash

Reaction score
My Safari browser works fine on most things. But in places where I need to fill in a response to a question on a web site (eg: the title line for these forums) I don't get beyond the first letter and the browser crashes - the little rainbow wheel pops up. Only force quit will get rid of it. Needless to say this query is being typed on a different machine! It is not only the Apple forum site that my Safari crashes on, but others as well. I'm recently using Snow Leopard, version 10.6.3. Can anyone help please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
A Safari javascript problem I suspect, but it's usually reliable for that.

Secondly, what are the Security settings in Prefs? Make sure that java and javascript are enabled.

Last, what are your cookie settings for the sites where you wish to fill in text fields?

Meantime, you might want to try a different browser, eg. Opera, which is popular, and deals with javascript very well.

OP
I
Reaction score
Ah if only it were that simple!

Java and Javascript both enabled. And set is to accept cookies only from a site I enter - such as this one. Tried again on the Mac. The browser crashed on the 'h' of 'Ah' in the Subject Line. Any other insights I might try other than changing browsers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Resetting Safari is about all I can suggest, or trashing Safari prefs, even a reinstall of the application.

If you choose the last option, get rid of ALL Safari files, using a third-party application cleaner such as AppCleaner, AppZapper or CleanApp. Any one of those will dig out the innermost workings of Safari and enable you to send everything to Trash.

OP
I
Reaction score
Firefox it is

I used to use Firefox on a PC and it is a good programme. As you say its probably the best and easiest solution. Thanks gents. Now if I can sort out the Magic Mouse (see other thread). Following the same thinking, scrap the mouse and find another one? Not as simple with a $100 investment in the mouse.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have renamed the "Magic Mouse" to "Miserable Mouse". Need I say more?
Put the thing in your desk somewhere and forget about it. Buy a nice inexpensive Logitech or even (gasp) a Microsoft Mouse. Both will perform better.

Regards.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Funny I have never had one issue with either of my Magic Mice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.