iChat to Support MSN?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Will iChat ever support msn messenger in future releases of Mac OS X So i can sign in via my MSN Messenger email?

In the UK not many people use AIM, most people use yahoo or msn messenger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January
same here in NZ.

No one uses aim. all my friends use msn.

I think that apple would incorporate msn to work with iChat but maybe Microsoft is not letting them, because if they did, iChat would become the ultimate chatting program :)

If the webcam features worked with iChat to msn users I'm sure there will be tonnes of new switchers.

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
I don't think Microsoft has the power to determine what companies are allowed to add msn support to their software...do they?!?!

If anything I think apple is more likely to add support for yahoo messenger. Apple seems to be closer to google and yahoo; and apple has already added support for google talk...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Will iChat ever support msn messenger in future releases of Mac OS X So i can sign in via my MSN Messenger email?

In the UK not many people use AIM, most people use yahoo or msn messenger

I doubt iChat will support MSN anytime soon. Right now it supports AIM, ICQ (through the AIM protocol), GoogleTalk, and Jabber. If they add support for another one, I would bet with you that it will be Yahoo Messenger before MSN.

I don't think Microsoft has the power to determine what companies are allowed to add msn support to their software...do they?!?!

Yes, they do and they have. Legally and technically, they can stop anyone they want from using their service. A few years back when software like Trillium and Adium were trying to build in support most of the IM companies started blocking them and threatened them with lawsuits.

In today's world, the IM companies have changed their outlook on other IM clients and tend to leave them alone. But a company like Apple won't build it in without Microsoft's legal and technical blessing.

M

MacHeadCase

Assuming this would be doable, it would come down to licensing fees. If Apple were to implement MSN support in iChat, Apple would have to dish out a hefty amount to M$ for as long as iChat would support that protocol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@MacHeadCase for halloween :D?

Reaction score
Being able to use MSN through iChat would be wonderful...no one that I know uses iChat and everyone uses MSN...or just maybe Microsoft would add isight compatibility to the next build of mac MSN.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
or just maybe Microsoft would add isight compatibility to the next build of mac MSN.

That would be more likely than Apple adding it to iChat.

M

MacHeadCase

@MacHeadCase for halloween :D?

<Off Topic>Yes! You like? I'm just getting in the Halloween spirit! :D </Off Topic>

Being able to use MSN through iChat would be wonderful...no one that I know uses iChat and everyone uses MSN...or just maybe Microsoft would add isight compatibility to the next build of mac MSN.

Actually that would be kinda cool and Apple wouldn't have to give a single penny to M$.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very nice lol ;D

I'll prob be spending halloween at my cousin's house, cos his birthday's on Halloween. oooooh~~~~~~

I think MS wants iChat to fail, unless Apple is willing to pay A LOT for msn on iChat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.