Mac pro G5 issues

Reaction score
Hello all, I was at the monthly computer/electronics fleamarket and ran across a G5. He was selling it for parts only. I got it for what I think was a good price. It dodn't have a hard drive or memory. I did come with the ATI mac 9800p video card. It will start up but I don't get any kind of video. So I have a few questions.

How can i tell if the card isn't fried.

Is there another card I can use for testing to see if the mobo is bad.

I am having trouble finding memory to work. I keep getting the 3 blinking lights on the front panel.

There is only one red light on the mobo and I can't find it's a bad red light.
(see pic attached)
I am hoping to fix this somewhat cheap(if possible)
Thanks!

photo.JPG

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Now you know why it was being sold for parts. I certainly don't want to discourage you from being able to repair it at a reasonable cost, however, it sounds like it may be more costly to repair it than the machine is worth.

We have some sharp G5 experts here in the forums, so hang on and hopefully one of them will chime in with some good advice.

OP
C
Reaction score
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Now you know why it was being sold for parts. I certainly don't want to discourage you from being able to repair it at a reasonable cost, however, it sounds like it may be more costly to repair it than the machine is worth.

We have some sharp G5 experts here in the forums, so hang on and hopefully one of them will chime in with some good advice.

I only paid 50.00 for it. To me it was worth a chance. This was the only computer he had for sale. Everythiing else was electronics and junk. I figure if it's the main board then I can sell the parts seperate. I am at least hoping the card is still good. Can that card be tested in a PC with AGP?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can that card be tested in a PC with AGP?

Nope...due to Apple firmware on the card. To test what is working or not you need:

1. To get the parts the G5 is missing. That's compatible parts...just jamming some Windows computer ram in there won't work. You need Mac compatible ram.
2. An SATA hard drive will work...but needs to be formatted for a Macintosh.
3. You need a Mac OS install DVD to install an OS onto the HD (not cheap)!!!.
4. Or you need a GOOD friend with a working Powermac G5...and will allow you to swap the parts.

What you didn't tell us is exactly what model Powermac G5 it is. There were some significant changes in the last models...compared to the earlier models (different ram, different PCI slots, different cpu configuration).

This is not a "cheap" project for someone who doesn't have Mac expertise or a bunch of working Mac's & Mac parts laying around to easily test things.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Nope...due to Apple firmware on the card. To test what is working or not you need:

1. To get the parts the G5 is missing. That's compatible parts...just jamming some Windows computer ram in there won't work. You need Mac compatible ram.
2. An SATA hard drive will work...but needs to be formatted for a Macintosh.
3. You need a Mac OS install DVD to install an OS onto the HD (not cheap)!!!.
4. Or you need a GOOD friend with a working Powermac G5...and will allow you to swap the parts.

What you didn't tell us is exactly what model Powermac G5 it is. There were some significant changes in the last models...compared to the earlier models (different ram, different PCI slots, different cpu configuration).

This is not a "cheap" project for someone who doesn't have Mac expertise or a bunch of working Mac's & Mac parts laying around to easily test things.

HTH,

- Nick

Thanks Nick for the reply. The model # is A1047, the serial is XB4107XQES
Most of my friends use pc's as do I . I was wanting a project to mess around with.
I can get a HD formatted for Mac and some memory and and OS.

I guess I'm wondering if the mainboard is fried. Does that red light mean anything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That model is the very first of the dual processors and is either a 1.8 or 2GHz. Before you go spending bucks, be aware that G5 Macs will function only with Mac compatible, low density memory and not generic high density PC memory. Here is the type of memory you require:-

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/3200DDR1GBP/

Also this model is now possibly eight years old, or perhaps even older ~ is it worth spending money on?

OP
C
Reaction score
That model is the very first of the dual processors and is either a 1.8 or 2GHz. Before you go spending bucks, be aware that G5 Macs will function only with Mac compatible, low density memory and not generic high density PC memory. Here is the type of memory you require:-

OWC OWC3200DDR1GBPKIT 1GB PC3200 PowerMac G5 Memory... in stock at OWC

Also this model is now possibly eight years old, or perhaps even older ~ is it worth spending money on?
As of now all I need is memory. Does it have to be installed in pairs? If the board is fried I can get my money back on the memory. If I can get running I think it would be fun to have this to mess around with. I have never had a Mac before.

OP
C
Reaction score
Update!!

So all it needed was a working dvd rom, which I had laying around. It now has 2gb of memory and dual 1.8 p4's.

What would be the best Mac OS to put on this?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So all it needed was a working dvd rom, which I had laying around. It now has 2gb of memory and dual 1.8 p4's.

What would be the best Mac OS to put on this?

The best OS would be 10.5 "Leopard".

Next Question: Where can I get OS 10.5?
Answer: Call Apple's 800 number, maybe they will sell you a copy ($129)...or e-Bay (for about $100).

Next Question: WOW...why so much?
Answer: Supply & Demand.

Next Question: I looked on e-Bay and saw lots of gray-colored disks for like $15 dollars...can I use these?
Answer: No...they are model specific & will only work on the computer that they shipped with?

Next Question: How did I know the conversation would go this way?
Answer: 8,379th time this conversation has taken place.;)

Hope this helps,:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
The best OS would be 10.5 "Leopard".

Next Question: Where can I get OS 10.5?
Answer: Call Apple's 800 number, maybe they will sell you a copy ($129)...or e-Bay (for about $100).

Next Question: WOW...why so much?
Answer: Supply & Demand.

Next Question: I looked on e-Bay and saw lots of gray-colored disks for like $15 dollars...can I use these?
Answer: No...they are model specific & will only work on the computer that they shipped with?

Next Question: How did I know the conversation would go this way?
Answer: 8,379th time this conversation has taken place.;)

Hope this helps,:)

- Nick

Haha very funny! Thanks for the help :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.