Interesting Software/application on Notebook PC (MAC?)

J

Joeytpg

Guys, i was surfing the Sony website, and i found a VERY interesting thing on the Notebook's site, the New Sony VAIO notebooks (some of em) come with an interesting Application or software ( i don't know what it is yet)....it's called Giga-Pocket...and this is what it offers:

Get ready to enjoy your favorite TV programs right on your computer. By converting TV signals to digital MPEG2 format, Sony's Giga Pocket hardware and software lets you watch and record TV programs right on your VAIO.

Watch and record television on your VAIO
Watch recorded shows on your own television
Take television to go by saving to CLIE or CyberShot
Record television shows from the Internet
Watch TV while you record with Slip Playback
Burn recorded shows to DVD (using Click to DVD)

More info on this, Go here: (copy and past it on the address bar.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...ategoryName=pr_p_vaio_software_gigapocket_cpu

WOW...this is VERY interesting... i wonder if Macs have that "application/software" of whatever it is......or maybe SOMETHING SIMILAR.....i cannot deny i'm drooling over this feauture...mainly 'cause i'll ve going to Master's school and i'll spend all my money on an iBook and i'd really love to watch T.V. with my laptop.....but not only that, this Giga-Pocket, lets you RECORD what you're watching on T.V. (Computer).....

Guys...i want your input on this.....but please...i mean..i'd like optimist's opinions not "PRO MAC, PC HATER" opinions because, we have to admit SONY (and/or PC's) nailed it there with that!

OPINIONS! c'mon! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It sounds like an awesome feature. There is no way Apple will miss a development of something similar :) :D

OP
J

Joeytpg

witeshark said:
It sounds like an awesome feature. There is no way Apple will miss a development of something similar :) :D

Witeshark, so you think Apple will develop something like this??....but..when?? :confused: i REALLY REALLY like this feature, it's VERY impressive but is not the impressiveness ...it's the funcionality of it..... can you imagine not needing a T.V. and a VCR? haveing EVERYTHING on your computer??

when do you think apple will develop something similiar to this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It might not be as elegant as a built-in solution, but there is a product called EyeTV from Elgato (http://www.elgato.com/) that allows you to record TV and watch it on a Mac. It uses an external converter box that connects via FireWire or USB. No idea how well it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
Hasn't this feature been out for a while in the PC world? Well that's what I've been thinking, anyways yah there are substitutes for the mac.. but none native to the macintosh platform.. err.. not yet anyways.

EY

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Joeytpg said:
Witeshark, so you think Apple will develop something like this??....but..when?? :confused: i REALLY REALLY like this feature, it's VERY impressive but is not the impressiveness ...it's the funcionality of it..... can you imagine not needing a T.V. and a VCR? haveing EVERYTHING on your computer??
when do you think apple will develop something similiar to this?
I am an Apple development member, I'm sure this type of tech is on the way, how many movies with animation made on a Mac? :) :D

OP
D

dr_springfield

This "gigapocket" is nothing more than a fancy name for a for a built in TV tuner card and some software to go with it. Both the hardware and the software (tv tuner card and tv software for watching/recording) have been around for both macs and pcs for years. Big deal.

OP
J

Joeytpg

dr_springfield said:
This "gigapocket" is nothing more than a fancy name for a for a built in TV tuner card and some software to go with it. Both the hardware and the software (tv tuner card and tv software for watching/recording) have been around for both macs and pcs for years. Big deal.

yeah but you know how do products rise in popularity and therefore in sales?

Making it accessible to the masses.....and maybe it's been around for years, but it's the first time you have it "IN" the Computer package, of the go.

i mean it's not a BIG deal but like i said before, you gotta give it to em (Sony) that they nailed it with that application. Just as you gotta give it to Apple for the underfull iLife package, or any other GREAT package that the computer comes with.

Anyways, i'm gonna tell you something....i don't know you but i preffer a computer that has the most applications/softwares it can comes with from fabric for me to use instead of just having to pay $100, $150, $200, even $300 dollars for.

So to me it's a GREAT option, it'll win Sony a great deal of users (specially, Notebookers) that probably go to College, university, and don't have the money to buy a T.V., specially after spending a great deal amount of green$ on a good laptop.

This isn't gonna turn my head to the PC world again.....because i made m mind, i'm going MAC-O!!, and there are a whole lot of other things that impress me most in the apple world, but honestly, that feature made me want in it my mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If you have digital satellite TV you could use this

If you have and HDTV you could use this

And if you have regular cable you could use this or you could use this

Using your computer to watch and record TV is nothing new, and certainly isn't for PC's only :D :cool:

OP
O

Orange

yeah, I use Huappage TV/FM tuner card to watch, record, and listen to FM radio on my PC.... works great... can even schedule to record a show!

They have some for laptops via USB too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.