Esnips on Safari - How to remove?

Reaction score
Hi there,
My girlfriend has recently purchased a Mac Book Pro running Lion and somehow has downloaded something called Esnips (using Safari as the browser). I have changed the homepage repeatedly back to google but everytime it is switched off and on again Esnips comes back as the homepage.
When I googled there was some info about PC users having the same problem but running firefox. Anyone know anything about this or what Esnips even is?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The eSnips downloader apparently has a bug that even when removed it hijacks your home page. There are several sites that give instructions for removing it but those instructions are for Windows. Here's one: LINK

Tell your girl friend to download another browser such as Chrome or Firefox and use it instead until we can find a fix. The eSnips downloader looks like it might be a way to obtain illegal downloads.

Reaction score
esnips hi jacked all the searches on safari

Got the iMac a week ago. Today all of my searches and home page on both safari and firefox start going to esnips - I've asked everyone in the house and no one says they've downloaded anything from there and I can't find anything downloaded

I was able to reset the home pages on both browsers and the search on firefox but no luck with safari. All of my search options on safari have been hi jacked to go to search.esnips.com

how can I fix?

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

It looks like she'll have to change browser for the time being then although this wasn't really the solution I was looking for.... Its really weird - knowing her she won't have been trying to download anything illegal and so it's a total mystery how it got on there.

Anyway thanks again for the responses - and skimfer If I hear anything else will let you know

Reaction score
Had the same problem but just fixed it.
Look in your apps for genieo or in your downloads for the file - installGenieo - it may be a dmg that needs to be expanded
Right click on the icon and go down to show package contents
Under resources you should find - uninstall genieo
Run this application and esnips should disappear - hopefully forever!

Reaction score
UNINSTALL the genieo application

not sure how the genieo application got installed but once I uninstalled it everything is back to normal.

Reaction score
didn't work for me

I uninstalled genieo but esnips has still hijacked my google search in safari. The more I can't get rid of it the more I think esnips is a virus and not a legitimate program/site. Anybody else know how to get rid of it?

Reaction score
uninstalling genieo

Did you use the uninstall genieo application? If you just drag it to trash it won't work. If you did use the uninstall then I don't know because it worked for me once I did that. I found it in my applications folder as a separate application from the genie application.

Good luck to you. Applications like genieo and esnips should be illegal and classified as viruses. No one in our house knowingly downloaded this application.

Reaction score
I did uninstall Genieo but I still had esnips hijacking my search. I had google.com/news set as my home page in safari, and based on other suggestions I changed it to just google.com. That may have worked. We'll see.

Reaction score
I had esnips hijack both safari and chrome's homepages and default search engines, as well as appear to cause chrome to constantly alert me to insecure java content. I noticed ads being placed on webpages which never had them in those spots before. For example, an ad kept showing up on yahoo directly under the search bar, which definitely was never there before. It looks like it was caused by an extension I installed called "Codec-M." I was able to delete the files in my apps folder, although I don't know if it installed anything anywhere else on my computer. To get my homepage and default search engines set back to normal, I also had to go into preferences on both browsers, uninstall the Codec-M extension, and then reset my default search engine and homepages manually. Seems like things are back to normal for me now. Hope this helps someone else...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.