connecting MBP 5,3 to tv

Reaction score
Hi folks, and first may I apologise for what I am sure must be one of the most tedious and repeated questions, but alas such is my technical inability.

I have a MBP 5,3 and I wish to connect it to my 2 year old Sony Bravia digi (1080p) 32" TV. The TV has HDMI sockets.

The main issue seems to be - do I need a one-piece cable, or two cables? And what should I ask for once I have the answer?

Many thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
this is the most confusing topic I know, the one and only way and it works for me, that is what counts. if you have the post mid-2010 models, you do not need the audio cable mentioned below.
Pre 2010 mode mbp needs the audio cable to hear the audio from tv.
To make life easier once the mountain lion osx comes out next month, you do not need
the cables I mentioned below. You need the apple tv module to connect and wireless, using airplay. We will talk about this for another day.
the bottom line is if you need to connect your mbp that fast the cable way is the choice otherwise you wait for ML to come out.
Cables way is cumbersome yet inexpensive, Apple Tv will set up back $100+

I believe your mbp is 2009 one, to start you need
(1) mini display port adapter ( the white one) to your mbp mini display jack
located to the right of usb port
(2) connect to your sony hdmi dvi input jack is
the black cable both ends are male, one end to the mini port adapter the other end to tv.
(3) using an audio cable both male ends one go to your mbp speaker jack the other is to tv audio in.
(4) set up your mirror of tv and mbp in apple menu clicking systems preference select display and go from there.
the link shows the hdmi and mini port adapter
here is the link
Mini Display Port Adapter+6Ft High Speed Hdmi Cable For Apple® Mac® | EverydaySource.com

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you ycl1688! That is a great help - at least now I know. Is there any way I can tell the date of my computer, that info does not seem obvious in the 'About This Mac' facility.

Thanks again.

OP
M
Reaction score
If that is the one labelled: Serial number (system), then the last three numbers (plus one letter) are 264B

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok, thank you, I am grateful - I did try entering my serial number into an apple model-search but it kept telling me my serial number was invalid.

Final question - should I buy a mini-display to HDMI adapter, plus male-to-male HDMI extension lead, or a ready-made cable that is mini-display at one end and a male HDMI plug at the other (about 6 feet long). It seems to me that the latter is the obvious choice, but if it were that simple, why so many of the 2-part kits for sale? I thought perhaps that the adapter-hub might have some signal conversion role perhaps? Plus an audio cable with either, I realise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
the one I have is separate pieces one mini port adapter, one hdmi cable male to male and audio cable male to male. total 3 pieces. you can try the one piece one, may work i did not try.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok, will take the 2-part option to be safe, thanks again - it's a wilderness out there for the uninformed! You have greatly helped me. Over and out....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.