Webcams for Mac

Reaction score
I've had a look through previous threads for webcams and the results are little more than disappointing... No ones fault on here, but it seems that there are few good recommendations...

Is this still the case?
Are there so few good mac compatible webcams, or are they just not a popular addition?

:\

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Webcam options for Mac's have always been a "rare" item when it came to choices. Apple used to sell the "iSight" webcam years ago:

1015_7_apple_isight.jpg

...but it's been discontinued for years. You can still find them on e-Bay. They are a little different...in that they use a firewire connection instead of USB.

My theory why Apple no longer sells a webcam, is the vast majority of Apples computer sales are iMac's and notebook computers (and they already come with a built-in webcam...for the models from the last 5 years or so). Only Mac Pro's and Mac-Mini's would be a computer model Apple sells that would need a webcam.

One pretty decent webcam out there is the Logitech C910 (I bought 2 as Christmas presents this year):

26-104-385-16.jpg

Logitech - HD Pro Webcam C910

The prices on them can vary a lot...I got mine at Sam's Club for $49.99 each.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks,
I've had a look at one of these Apple cameras on Ebay since you posted this and they look cool though they only give a small display...
On the other hand the Logitech one does get some excellent reviews... had you not mentioned it, I might have passed it over as many of the retailers in the UK don't highlight that these are Mac compatible :Lips-Are-Sealed:

Ok, thanks, it's given me a good place to start.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks,
I've had a look at one of these Apple cameras on Ebay since you posted this and they look cool through they only give a small display...

For what folks are trying to get ($$$/£££) for the older Apple iSight webcam on e-Bay...might as well get something new.:)

On the other hand the Logitech one does get some excellent reviews... had you not mentioned it, I might have passed it over as many of the retailers in the UK don't highlight that these are Mac compatible.

Yeah...some retailer websites don't give enough info sometimes. I've learned over the years with Mac's...best to go to the manufacturer's website first...to check the specs & compatibility before buying.:)

Good luck,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
I researched this for a couple of months and decided to add the Logitech - HD Pro Webcam C910 as noted above to a new Mac Mini. It works flawlessly with all of the various chat and video programs. No regrets on my end.

Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini, 2007 Macbook, iPod Classic, iPod Touch 2nd generation, iPad 1
I recently bought a new Mac mini and now I want a webcam. As I don't use a webcam that much the C910 mentioned before is over budget.
Does anyone have any experience with the Logitech HD webcams C270 or C310?
Will be used with Skype & Google for starters.

Reaction score
I recently bought a new Mac mini and now I want a webcam. As I don't use a webcam that much the C910 mentioned before is over budget.
Does anyone have any experience with the Logitech HD webcams C270 or C310?
Will be used with Skype & Google for starters.
I bought a C270 (you can see my thread Telecine in video section) and is not even detected (iMac 21,5 osx 10.6.8), Logitech support confirmed that model has no support for mac.
Cheers

OP
A
Reaction score
So just to update and thank everyone who has contributed, I plumbed for the Logitech 910 today... what an awesome piece of kit. I've connected it via a usb hub so as not to use up all the usb's on my Mac mini - it works faultlessly...
Now I don't wish to start a war on Mac v Pc's but I have serious doubts if I would be saying the same thing on a PC forum!

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini, 2007 Macbook, iPod Classic, iPod Touch 2nd generation, iPad 1
Just to let you know. I bought a Logitech HD C310 webcam. Works out of the box with my Mac Mini (Lion). Just plug and play: Photo Booth, Skype and Google Chat.
Haven't tried recording with it, iMovie does not detect USB webcams. As far as quality goes, looks good in bad light conditions ... at least good enough for chat. Microphone works too, haven't used it during an actual chat though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.