Virtual PC speed rate

J

jaysmoke

I just installed virtual pc with the windows xp pro...but I am very much disappointed by the speed rate...it's sooooo slow and I can't really get anything to work without waiting for atleast 5 mins...is this how it works or am I the one doing something wrong?

OP
V

ViewSonic

Virtual PC 6.1 requires a large amount of RAM. For optimal performance, you would need 1GB of total RAM, with 512MB allocated to VPC, leaving an adequate amount to OS X.

It should also be mentioned that 6.1 is the Vonnectix version, even though Microsoft bought them, Microsoft hasn't actually released their own version yet. Wait until version 7.0 and there shoudl be large performance and stability increases. VPC 7.0 is reportedly able to make use of the hardware graphics accelerator, rather than using an emulated one.

Just to note, on my 1.5GHz 15" with 1GB of RAM, the processor is an emulated "Connectix processor" - a Pentium II 296MHz. I have allocated 512 MB of RAM to it, and after seeing how poorly Windows XP Pro ran on it, i uninstalled it and put in WIndows 98 SE. It does pretty much the same thing, but runs MUCH quicker and also takes up alot less space on the hard drive.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have on run windows 98 in VPC. Every where I look, I see that windows XP is very, very, very slow when in running VPC. (did I meation that XP is very slow in VPC :p ). I would try another version of windows.

OP
C

Cloudane

Definitely. I tried XP and it took about 5 hours to install, then simply doing anything like clicking the start button leaves you waiting for 10+ seconds.

Then I installed Win98SE and it's pretty smooth :) It seems a little laggy sometimes (say if you're trying to work on a fairly complex Access database inside it) but it's usable and waaaay faster than XP.

NT4 works well, too, so take your pick.

OP
T

tariq

yea i've read the exact same, windows xp is extremely slow. i use windows 2000 and it runs quite well, try that.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Virtual PC 7 will be better, should be out in early October.

OP
J

jaysmoke

well I tried 2000 also but it just wasn't fast enuff for me...I guess am left with 98se...mein I never thought I'd have to use that OS ever again...but all the same...october is just around the corner...it ain't gone hurt if I wait just a little longer now would it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.5ghz 1.25gb
running Windows programs on your Mac

Some advice to Mac users who need to run a few Windows programs. First, there is an alternative to Virtual PC. It's called Win Tel from OpenOSX.com. Smaller, cheaper etc. and runs on the latest Macs. Second, check out litePC.com where you can buy a wonderful little gismo that disaggregates Windows and lets you install only the components you want. You can do a 'micro' installation of Windows 98SE in under 70MB which works fine if you don't need the Internet Explorer engine and all the networking stuff: and why would you, you've got it all already in Panther!

OP
C

Cloudane

Um, that site is selling software that is free

"WinTel" is, as the screenshots even say, just a ripped off copy of MacBochs which is freely available from:
http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

It's good to see that if you dig deep enough he does give credit where it's due, but it's still a rip off.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Any speed tests?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.