hd enclosure and intel macbook pro

Reaction score
I need to get things off my pc hard drive and figured the best thing would be an enclosure. That way I could have an external drive as well. As I looked at enclosures I saw plenty that were FW/USB for PC and MAC but then I read a review of one in which someone said it did not work with intel processor macbooks. Now I am suspicious of all of them. Do I need to be? Will the ministack v2 (w/o drive) work? Does anyone have any other cheaper recommendations?

Thanks

Reaction score
I couldn't tell you in all honesty, there's so many drives out there.

I have a Seagate FreeAgent 320gb I use on both my Macbook Pro and PC, all I had to do was reformat it FAT32 so both could read/write to it. Only drawback to that being, a single file in FAT32 can't be over 4gb.

EDIT:: Ah your talking about enclosures... ok i'm still totally clueless

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have used many brands of External HDD enclosures and not had an issue on both my PPC and Intel Macs. I have used both FireWire and USB2. What HDD case is this? Do you have a URL?? I also have a 2-WD's and one Seagate external and all work great. 2 are Firewire.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Somehow I feel that one dood who complained either has issues with his Mac, OSX or himself.

I have had really good luck with acomdata external HDD cases but find none on NewEgg. All they have is their already made up external drives.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, bought a Mad Dog yesterday and it works fine. My next question would be: since that was my primary hd from my pc, can I boot my intel macbook from it via usb or firewire, bypass the mac os completely and run my windows programs?. It has some software that contains data that I can't get to any way other than running the hd from my pc. In other words, would I be able to treat my macbook like a windows based laptop by booting from the now-external hd that was formerly my pc?

OP
M
Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on this? I don't want to run windows inside the mac os, i'd just like to usb boot my old windows hd and run a some software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
No, windows does not allow you to boot from an external drive. They're paranoid i guess. You can however boot your OS X from an external drive.

You can setup a small boot camp partition on your internal drive and save all your files and what not on the external for the windows partition, just format part of the external in Fat32 format. Then OSX and Windows can read and write on it.

Best,

Brian

OP
M
Reaction score
Then I guess I'm going to have to run two computers for a while. I wanted to run my windows software on my my old hard drive, but i gather from what you are telling is that it is impossible. I don't need or want to buy mac versions of software, but still want access to the data.

Any suggestions on how to get my 2003 outlook file into Entourage?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.