Transferring Ipod music to iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
I am a new IMac owner. I have an iPod with a lot of music on it. I want to move the iPod's music to the iMac. There is already some music on the iMac but I want to add the iPod's music to it, or if necessary, erase what's on the iMac and move the iPod music onto to the iMac.

When I attach the iPod to the iMac with a USB cable, the iPod icon shows up the iMac screen's right side. But along with that icon, is the following message: "The iPod 'Jim's iPod' is synced with another iTunes library ((my old PC)). Do you want to erase this iPod and sync with this iTunes library?"

In this message box are two buttons, "cancel" and "erase and sync" If I click on the cancel button, the iPod icon on iMac's screen disappears.

I am afraid to click on the "erase and sync" button as I do NOT want to erase the music on the iPod…exactly the opposite…I want what's on the iPod to be on the iMac.

But with the iPod icon disappearing, how do I do that without erasing my iPod music?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
I have obtained some instructions on how to transfer the iPod music to the Mac. They read:
When I plug in the iPod, it does give me an icon on the right side of the iMac screen. When I click on that icon, I get a window which has 10 files listed, e.g., Bootex.log, calendars, contacts, DCIM, notes, photos) but none with the label of "music".

At times when the top line read "iPod", I can find the "transfer purchases from (user's) iPod", but the second I click on that the iPod icon disappears and nothing happens, i.e., I guess the iPod is disconnected from the Mac.

Now: are those instructions wrong or am I still not doing something right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.