Ethernet/Wi Fi/Lion issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 8GB, 1TB, i5, iPad2
Hello All:

I have a situation that I just cannot seem to resolve. I have a 27" iMac, 12 gb ram. Lion 10 .7.2 that I bought in February of this year. Home network running on AT&T with the Mac, an iPad 2, Windows pc and a Windows laptop, and everything worked fine until yesterday. Now, I cannot access the Internet with Mac, yet everything else is working fine. I have an Ethernet cable plugged into the AT&T cable modem and into the Mac, everything else connects via Wi Fi. I cannot connect with Mac either through the Ethernet cable or Wi Fi. I've swapped Ethernet cables, shut everything down, rebooted several times but I just cannot get the Mac to go on line. When I open the network diagnostics everything appears with a red dot and I cannot turn Wi Fi on (choices are all greased out). Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First thing to try is reboot the modem router. Power off for a bit and then power on. Also reboot your iMac at the same time. Was the iMac working OK before you updated to 10.7.2? How about after the update? Also, go over all your settings in System Preferences, Network.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have unplugged cable modem (AT&T Uverse)' switched Ethernet cables, rebooted, unplugged until I'm blue in the face. I switched the Ethernet cable from the Mac and put it in a pc on the wireless network and confirmed that the cable works and the pc is connected to the Internet. And yes, everything worked flawlessly before the Lion update and actually for some time now following the Lion install. Network settings are "frozen", they all have a red dot and I'm told that the Ethernet cable is unplugged (when in fact, it is not). No wi Fi networks appear and I cannot access the Internet either through the Ethernet cable or Wi Fi. Every other computer on the wireless network has complete access to the Internet. But my iMac will not connect.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It almost seems like your iMac has forgotten it has network capabilities. Try resetting the PRAM, let's see if that works.

If that doesn't work, give Apple support a call or make an appointment with your local Apple store genius to have it looked at. I know that a 27" iMac is a bear to lug around but since it's under warranty it might be a good idea to take it on in.

Also as an alternative, you can try re-installing Lion from your Recovery partition.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I contacted Apple Support and got the problem resolved. What a pleasure to chat with them; I was most concerned that I would have to cart my iMac into the Apple store, but, Chris in Support, led me by the hand through a PRAM and SMS reset and solved the problem!! Apple is the greatest! Thanks for your efforts to assist me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.