[Parallels] Can't Play Games?

Reaction score
Hey Mac Fourms!

I just got my parallels cd and I installed my Windows, and Parallels tools and what I wanted. Now, I wanted to play Need For Speed Most Wanted (black edition) and I install it. I press the icon to play and it says that i should put in the cd and restart the application....The cd was in (cd1 which is correct) and it still says it doesnt work. Can anyone help my problem? Thanks guys!

Aminiman

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Parallels doesn't support 3D graphics yet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook w/ 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo 512MB memory & SuperDrive
Have you heard if they are going to update this?

The other day I downloaded a free trial version and this is what I was demoing it for was to see how it played games. I was wanting to play WarCraft and SIMCITY 4. I have already dropped my SC4 and had the same errors that Aminiman had.

Reaction score
Seriously, it doesn't support 3d graphics? I just ordered an MBP with parallels thinking I'd use it for games. Oh well, I'm getting it for free anyway with rebates. Guess I'll just have to use boot camp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
The latest (beta) version of Parallels allows you to boot off a Bootcamp partition. Bootcamp, because it boots straight into Windows, does support hardware-accelerated graphics and hence games. Being able to share a single Windows installation between the two environments prevents you from having to use the extra disk space that two installs would take.

I'm not sure how this affects the Windows Activation process, since booting back and forth would make Windows believe that you've changed hardware and require a new activation (presumably, each time you swap back and forth).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
If you check inside windows, parallels only provides a 8mb graphic card. so even if that were to allow 3d extensions and so forth... what kind of 3d would 8mb allow for??? simcity 2000? thats not even 3d, its an isometric grid that looks like 3d

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook w/ 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo 512MB memory & SuperDrive
Oh Well, glad I only used a trial version and didn't pay for it yet. I'll just get Leopard when it drops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
If you check inside windows, parallels only provides a 8mb graphic card. so even if that were to allow 3d extensions and so forth... what kind of 3d would 8mb allow for??? simcity 2000? thats not even 3d, its an isometric grid that looks like 3d

It's not designed for gaming, but to be fair I have got the following games to work

- HL 1
- Unreal
- Unreal Tourmament GOTYE
- Quake II

The games ran better than they ever did on the original PC hardware I played them on. OK, so they're ancient, but you can get older OpenGL games working.

Reaction score
Have you heard if they are going to update this?

They are already working on an update for 3D support. I run Parallels RC2, and I am not able to play any newer games, yet. However, one of the most recently made games that I can play on it is the Original Sims and its seven expansion packs (its not as new as The Sims 2, but it does not require as much 3D support).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.