How well do the new OSs run on the older macs?

I

iRobot

Hello, I have an easy question when you've a mac, but hard to figure until I try it myself:

When Apple releases a new version of the OS, does it run equally fast, is there an improvement in the computer performance, or does it run slower than before?

I'm considering switching -it's only a matter of time... and timing- but I have a concern with the upcoming Leopard.
If I buy a MacBook Pro (13,3", 15" or 17", don't know which one yet) and get used to its speed. Will it run slower if I upgrade it later to Leopard?

Thanks!

Juan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Most users have reported that with the proper hardware configuration, Macs usually run quicker or about the same when upgrading the OS to a newer version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
it should run just fine
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
It wont run slower i mean come on people still use Tiger on old B&W's so dont worry about it mate, dont forget your not going to be in windows land any more

OP
T

tortoise

Apple usually makes performance increases a priority in new OSes.For example, the boot sequence in Tiger was completely redone, so Tiger boots a lot faster than Panther.

OP
I

iRobot

Wow! Fast answers! Thank you!

It was one of my concerns (the last one, actually) regarding the switching... Now, I'm just waiting for the 13'3" (or whatever small size they release) before I make my choice...

Forums are really one of the best things internet has to offer...

Juan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
Well im glad we put your mind at rest :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
In my experience major OS updates (i.e. OS8-OS9 or OS9-OSX) slow down older hardware. However every new release of OS X up to Panther has improved performance. Tiger slowed down some pre 2001 systems because of increased graphics demands, but still runs reasonably well on systems released as far back as 1998 and really, really well on systems less than four years old.

I expect that the next two or three OS releases are going to improve the speed and stability (and of course functionality) of the new intel macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.