CPU frequency without battery

Reaction score
Hi. I have a sh macbook pro A1211 (2.33GHz CPU, 2GB RAM, Radeon X1600). Recently it was swollen battery (the battery was not original, compatible no name battery). I live in a country where prices are very high for a new and original apple battery, apple battery here is how a minimum wage and yet I can not afford another, and I don't want to buy another cheap no name bad battery.
From what I read on the internet, without battery, the processor would only run at 50% of capacity. I tried to find a program that would show me in real time, maximum frequency of the processor, but I had no luck. I tried iStat Pro, iStat menu, but the CPU frequency does not appear, only shows percentage.
I have attached a picture of iStat pro, iStat menu, Coolbook. I would like to know if there is any way to see if the processor goes at full speed without battery or not. I do not know if it just me or my Mac goes much slower since has no battery.
Screen_shot_2014_04_02_at_1_09_29_AM.png

I have Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Running your MacBook Pro without a battery installed does throttle back the CPU. I'm not sure how much it's slowed but I do know that it can be significant. You might be able to get some kind of measurement by using a benchmark program and comparing your MBP to the standard.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here's some older article's that relate to this issue. I think that all of them were written around Late 2008...so this must have been something relatively new or maybe it was because this is about the time when the Unibody MacBook Pro's were being released:

MacBooks Run Slow Without Battery
Run your MacBook without a battery and throttle the performance — Tech News and Analysis
New MacBook Pro performance degrades with the battery removed | ZDNet

Unfortunately the Apple Support Document referred to/linked to in a couple of the articles is no longer active.:( But the articles do reference a little of what was said in the Apple Support Document.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.