Removing RAM from Macbook (intel)

Reaction score
Hey there. Im fairly new to macs and I was selling mine.

I want to take out the RAM in my laptop first. In my system it shows up as 4gb but i think after comparing the charts that my laptop can only use upto 3gb.

Well either way if my laptop is showing 4 it means i most likely have 2x2gb.

How do i go about taking one of these sticks out?

Do i just power off and take out and then resume? or do i have to reinstall OS X or is there any procedure through the bios (lol sorry i know that is a windows term idk what mac calls it)?

Help please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You dont say what Mac you have but click on a picture of your machine HERE and it will walk you through it !!!!

But basically power off, battery out, de static yourself by touching something steel in the Battery compartment then take out the RAM

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
I seem to remember there's an illustration under the battery compartment to show you how to pop out the RAM. But anyway, if your MacBook is a "Santa Rosa" model (3.1 or higher) then yes, 4gb would register and be used correctly; the older ones can only use 3gb.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.