Help! MacBook 6.1 takes 5 tries to turn on!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Unibody MacBook
Hey guys, I tried installing Ubuntu on my MacBook, and now, it takes me 5 tries to boot into OS X. On the first boot up, the LED Indicator will flash rapidly, and then I'll hear a long beep. After that, I need to turn the computer on & off about 4 more times until I'm finally able to access the Grey Apple Screen, and boot into Snow Leopard. I've tried reformatting my drive, and installing Snow Leopard and Lion. I even tried other hard drives. I tried remove my RAM & HDD, and then booting up, an zapping the NVRAM, but I still have the issue.

Somebody please help! :(
I don't want to pay $500+ to get my LogicBoard replaced, because I'm out of warranty. :/

Once the Macbook boots up, it works fine though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Have you checked the cables to the charger/psu particularly the input cable to the MacBook itself ? All manner of strange things happened to an old iBook G4 of mine until the insulator completely wore through to reveal broken strands of conductor. It may be completely unconnected to the uninstall and random connects/disconnects of the charging/power circuit may be throwing you off the scent. Borrow a cable from a friend to check.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Unibody MacBook
I know it has nothing to do with the MagSafe, because I get this issue on battery power as well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
The rapid flashing and long tone indicate an EFI firmware issue. Did you make any changes at the firmware level, maybe playing with a boot loader for Ubuntu? You might try downloading and installing the firmware update again.

EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The instructions for updating the firmware are included in that message you linked to. You need to use Terminal.... it's the last command statement:

sudo bless -mount / -firmware MB61_00C8_B00_LOCKED.scap --verbose

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.