Multiple tabs open on Safari launch (ala. Firefox)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP - 2.2GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, GeForce 8600M GT w/ 128MB DDR3
One thing that is preventing me from switching over to Safari is I really like how I can instruct Firefox to open multiple tabs with websites that I visit all the time automatically when I open the program. Is such a thing possible in Safari?

-B

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
If you like Firefox why not just use that?

M

MacHeadCase

Hi brentsax.

Make sure you have enabled tabbed browsing in Safari through its preferences. Then go and download ForgetMeNot, a Safari add-on. That link is for ForgetMeNot 4.0 compatible with Safari beta 3.0 so if you use Safari 2.0.4 which came with Tiger on your Mac, you would be better to download ForgetMeNot 3.1 from here instead.

Saft does the same (as do a few other Safari plug-ins that you can sift through at PimpMySafari) but Saft isn't free. But then again it does much more than keep your tab session.

safari_tabs.png

OP
brentsax
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you like Firefox why not just use that?

I'm just curious. I do really like Firefox, but maybe I'll like safari better if I use it for awhile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
[ I didn't say anything >_> ]

M

MacHeadCase

He wants tab saved sessions as well like in OmniWeb so enabling Tabs isn't enough, he needs a Safari plug-in to get that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bleh, I can't read. x_X

Well, OK, to redeem myself ;p
you can also do this with SafariStand:

http://hetima.com/safari/stand-e.html

safari_stand_restore_workspace.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...Hey, wait a second!

What he asked for isn't saved tab sessions.
I believe what he is looking for is multiple home pages (which will all load in tabs when you start Safari).

In that case, I don't think you can do that. There might be a Safari plug-in out there that may do this.

However, you can do this:

Make a new Bookmark Folder on the Tab Bar, then you add all the pages you want to load in that Folder.

Then whenever you want to open them all in one shot, you just middle-click (or Command click) the Bookmark Folder.

It's practically the same thing as having multiple home pages;
it's just that it requires you to do one middle-click. (oh, what a hassle ;p )

OP
brentsax
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, remain is correct in that what I'm looking for is not for safari to save the tabs I had open last. I don't think I'm the only one who never ends up where he started when web browsing.

I tried the trick from firefox (putting a vertical spacer thing) in between urls in the homepage dialogue box in the settings. For those of you who didn't know about that, it looks like this: url | url | url

So while the restore tabs thing is close and the bookmarks option would work, it's not quite as elegant as the Firefox solution. I guess I'm sticking w/ Firefox!

-B

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, if you think about it, the Bookmark Folder way (either in Safari, Firefox, or any other browser) gives you more power over it.

I mean, sometimes, won't you open your browser just to check one little thing, for instance, checking your emails?
In such a case, would you really want all those home pages to load up?
(This is why I myself only have one home page, and that is Google, which loads quickly.)

That's why, IMO, for what you want to accomplish, I find that Bookmark Folders would be the way to go.

And yes, Bookmark Folders.
With multiple home pages, you can only have one "set" of them.
In contrast, you can have many Bookmark Folders,
which basically means you can have more than one "set" of home pages.

This way, you could have a "set" of news pages.
And then another "set" for mail.
Or another "set" for friends' pages.
Etc.

Whenever you want to open one of them, you just middle-click the one you want.

And they would never load when you don't want them to.

Well, that's my suggestion. Hope this is helpful.

OP
brentsax
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hadn't thought of the sets of bookmarks. Perhaps I'll give that a try.

M

MacHeadCase

Yeah, remain is correct in that what I'm looking for is not for safari to save the tabs I had open last. I don't think I'm the only one who never ends up where he started when web browsing.

I tried the trick from firefox (putting a vertical spacer thing) in between urls in the homepage dialogue box in the settings. For those of you who didn't know about that, it looks like this: url | url | url

So while the restore tabs thing is close and the bookmarks option would work, it's not quite as elegant as the Firefox solution. I guess I'm sticking w/ Firefox!

-B

Ah! Sorry about the wrong assumption. I used Firefox a couple of years ago briefly and didn't like it so never knew about this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MBP 13"
One thing that is preventing me from switching over to Safari is I really like how I can instruct Firefox to open multiple tabs with websites that I visit all the time automatically when I open the program. Is such a thing possible in Safari?

-B

This is what I'm trying to figure it out too and why I haven't used Safari. I'll have to try the tips below when I get home.

Since this tread is kinda old, maybe someone will post a new way to open tabs there were open the last time I had the browser open.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I use Glims.

Not only does it provide for a great selection of search engines, it also has an option to open your last session.

Once you install Glims, click the google icon in the search field. That'll show you a list of the search engines available to you right from there. You can add more.

Glims will add a preference inside Safari preferences. Head there, click on 'Tab Misc' on the left side, place a check next to the top item on the right for opening your last session.

There are lots more preferences for you to check out.

Reaction score
You could have safari open to your top sites, which can be selected in safari preferences. This will have safari open to a page displaying all of sites you chose. You could then open them into tabs from there. Hope this helps.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you are running 10.4 or higher you can indeed have Safari open a series of pages every time the program is opened. You can either open them in either individual windows or in tabs in the same window. The trick is to use Automator. Check out ATPM 12.07 - How To: Maybe You Ought To Be Using Automator.

It gives a basic overview of Automator and one of the projects is a workflow that does exactly that. It also has a link to the automator action needed to make this work. I built that project in an earlier version of Automator but it also works in Snow Leopard. If you don't want the workflow to check mail those steps can be omitted. My current version of this project opens and connects to iChat, Skype, Mail and Safari. You can build what you want in a matter of minutes. give it a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MBP 13"
I use Glims.

Not only does it provide for a great selection of search engines, it also has an option to open your last session.

Once you install Glims, click the google icon in the search field. That'll show you a list of the search engines available to you right from there. You can add more.

Glims will add a preference inside Safari preferences. Head there, click on 'Tab Misc' on the left side, place a check next to the top item on the right for opening your last session.

There are lots more preferences for you to check out.

Thanks for the Glims link! It's what Safari needed!

Reaction score
Safari

I agree, there are 2 FireFox advantages, one is the opening of several 'home page' tabs and the other is the ability to save all existing open tabs which automatically reopen when FireFox is reactivated.
I really miss both of these features as I now use Safari, I wish Safari would incorporate these in the next version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
u40rmy4ow5i443w

#2 Save all the bookmarks you want to open on startup to a folder in the bookmarks bar, open the Safari preferences.
Click on "New windows open with:" and choose the folder you made. On starting Safari, it will load all the bookmarks in this folder.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
you want two or more tabs to open at startup on safari?

create a bookmark folder called "startup" or something
with all the websites you want to open inside.

go to safari preferences.... new windows open with... select the folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.