Firefox ALWAYS downloads files even on "Open"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook - 15" (last ppc), iMac 20" w/ intel, iPod 5G
Since I switched to a Mac, Firefox always downloads the files I tell it to simply open. On Windows, these files would go to a temp directory and later on be deleted. With the Mac, these files are cluttering my desktop even when I simply want to "Open" them and not "Save" them. Any way to fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
what type of files are you talking about? both pictures, songs, and videos can be opened in a URL w/out downloading, and music can be streamed in itunes without downloading. maybe not having ever used windows extensively im just confused by the question? haha, im sorry!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
the only files i've noticed firefox doing that with is wmv files. i think it has to do with the difference in wmp integration between osx and xp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I've actually always had this problem in XP as well. It was the one thing about IE that I missed after switching to Firefox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
install flipformac (wm plugin for quicktime) and use safari.

I do not understand firefox users, when look at UI it makes me cry. why does it have to be so ugly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.