DVD Issues W/1.25GHz 17" iMac

J

Joe Campbell

Happy new year, folks. As a relatively new Mac user, I've been a longtime lurker on various forums and discussion boards, and have learned enough to sort of ease into the Macworld over the last year (First with a used Wallstreet, then with an iBook, then with an aluminum Powerbook g4, and iPod, and an iMac - Just got a dual 2.5 G5 at work, too, but it doesn't count, since I didn't have to pay for it).

Anyway, I appreciate the vicarious help I've received, and I hope I'll have the opportunity to answer someone else's question someday soon.

Here's mine:

I'm running an 17 inch flat panel iMac G4 w/a 1.25GHz processor and 768mb of ram. I have the Superdrive, and was backing up some photos to an Apple branded 4.7gb dvd. The process locked up before finishing, and since then the computer will not recognize data dvds, or most movies, although I've had luck with a couple (Blade Runner & MiB II).
I've verified and repaired permissions, and updated to 10.3.7. I've also run TechTool 4, and used a cleaning disk. The research I've done over on the Apple discussion boards tells me that this issue is uncommon, but not unheard of, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I thought it might be best to start fresh, and backed up all my music and photos on an external hard drive in preparation for a complete wipe and reinstall, before realizing that if the computer won't read the restore dvd, there's no way for me to do that.

I'm getting frustrated, and of course, the computer's 2 months out of warranty. (Tried Apple's new iMac chatline, and the agent wouldn't help.)

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
hmm, sounds weird, try zapping the pram to clear any dvd playback/reading conflicts,
also, are the dvds that will play of a certain region other than 1? have you recently installed any new software or hardware? have you tried cleaning the superdrives lens?

OP
J

Joe Campbell

Region/PRAM

Thanks for the response - I don't think it's a region issue; it's not reading dvds that it did before. Regarding the PRAM: I DID attempt to reset it, according to Apple's instructions, however, it didn't appear that any of my settings changed - The clock stayed the same, for instance.

Does it make sense to you guys that it's NOT a hardware issue? If that were the case, NONE of my dvds would work, right?

Also, any ideas for a way to wipe and reinstall OSX without the disk? Maybe using my powerbook (I don't have bluetooth on the iMac)?

Thanks,

JC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm, youre right, it wouldnt lay anting if it were a problem with the drive, have you checked if your dvd playback frameworks are intact? go to mac hd>system>library>frameworks>dvd playback>then theres a few items in there, are they there? have you ever tried cleaning the lens? buy a lens cleaner, as far as doing an erase an install, it may be a bit hasty to jump to, but you could use target disk mode or firewire disk mode to install os x again.

OP
J

Joe Campbell

I did clean the lens - About 6 times, actually...

But I haven't tried your other suggestion, and will do so now - Can you explain how I'd use the target disc to reboot?

I don't have a firewire drive, unless, I can somehow plug the pb g4 into the imac...

OP
J

Joe Campbell

OK, the framework stuff is in there... Is it Hardware specific? If they're corrupt, could I pull those files off the Powerbook, for instance, and drop them on the iMac?

And thanks for the help!

OP
J

Joe Campbell

guess I'm buying a new superdrive - I'm at the end of my rope.

Have completely wiped and reinstalled 10.3 and most movie dvds (And all data dvds) still will not play.

darn it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yup, sounds like a hardware problem after all. is it still under warranty?

OP
J

Joe Campbell

no...

The warranty ran out two months ago, of course...

I wish there were a firmware update.

OP
J

Joe Campbell

quick update - 74 minute, $50.00 phone call with Apple support - They were unable to tell me anything I hadn't already tried. At the end of the call, however, the agent DID credit my card, so at least the call didn't cost me. Additionally, it is apparently impossible for a user to replace the Superdrive - Apple won't even sell one to me. The agent said, and I don't doubt this, that it would be more cost-effective to simply buy an aftermarket dvd drive/burner.

arrgghhh...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its possible, Ive replaced the superdrive on a g4 imac before, its sorta difficult with all that stuff in there, and getting it to line up correctly with the slot, but buy a 3rd party internal superdrive and do it yourself if you know how.

OP
J

Joe Campbell

I may give it a shot - I kind of enjoy tearing into stuff.

After I got my PB G4, I started playing around with the cosmetics on my old Wallstreet.

Here's the result (It won "Least Original" **ouch**)

The BatBook

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.