Little question about Boot Camp!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Hello there,

I have been using Windows on my MacBook Pro through Boot Camp for quite a while. First, I did it on my older MacBook Pro which I bought in 2008 and now on my my new one. The thing is, whenever I install Vista or 7, it takes a long time to boot into Windows.

A white dash keeps flashing for around a minute (or a little bit less) and then it boots into Windows. That does not happen, however, when I install Windows XP. I am not sure why!!!!! It is very irritating.

A screen shot for explanation:

iopxk4.jpg

Any information is appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Original Picture: http://i53.tinypic.com/10ppq3t.jpg

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After two years, I finally eliminated that problem. Thanks to a tip by a member in another forum, I started doing some googling and came up with a fix. It turns out that Boot Camp uses an XP compatible Master Boot Record which causes the 15 - 20 seconds waiting time in both Vista and Windows 7. You must use the Windows 7 installation DVD in order to fix that.

Here are the instructions I wrote on how to fix it:

I inserted the Windows 7 DVD, restarted computer, booted from DVD, clicked NEXT, chose Repair Your Computer, Use System Image to Restore (or something like that), then cancel and you will find a list of things you can do, choose "Command Prompt".

Now type bootsect /help and then type bootsect /nt60 SYS and then restart the computer.

Done.

Easier instructions:

1) Boot from Windows 7 DVD
2) Repair Your Computer
3) Use system image to restore and then click cancel
4) Choose command prompt (the last choice in the list)
5) Type bootsect /help then press ENTER
6) Type bootsect /nt60 SYS then press ENTER

Advantages of doing so:

1) No more delay booting into Windows
2) You will get the nice, animated "Starting Windows" display instead of the ugly looking progress bar

Good luck.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure why you even had to do that? I installed Windows 7 using the Boot Camp assistant included with Snow Leopard (version 3.0) and had no problem whatsoever with a delay. Boots instantly to the desktop just like running Windows 7 on a PC would.

Anyway, glad to hear you fixed it.

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually always used Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows and the delay still occurred.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.