Melted caselight on MacBook Pro/grey splotch on screen

Reaction score
Hello there,

While working at a café today, I managed not to notice for a few minutes that a small candle beneath the back of my MacBook Pro 8,1 screen had heated up the caselight and melted a small part of it. I realized what was happening when a slight grey spot appeared in the middle of the screen. Since I'm living in Paris and thus in the absence of the sort of Mac fiends that can be found throughout the San Francisco area (my old home), I have a few questions that I'd be most appreciative for some help with:

(1.) Is the splotch indicative of damage to the screen itself, or would it be more likely that the screen is being pressed against by the damaged part of the caselight, and that this alone is responsible for the splotch?

(2.) If the caselight alone is damaged, can that be purchased and replaced as a discrete part or (as I suspect is more likely) must I buy another shell/metal encasing? What should I pay for either thing if I'm looking to save money?

(3.) If the screen has to be replaced, what should I pay for that (presuming again, that I'm looking for a deal)...?

(4.) Does anyone know how to go about taking care of the above in Paris? I'm not sure that I want to pay European Apple Store prices.

Apologies if I'm going about anything wrong here, and thanks in advance for any advice anyone might have to offer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You have an early 2011 13" MacBook Pro....

It's likely the screen has been damaged in addition to the display case. The modern versions of MBP (unibody) the entire display case and display are changed as a single unit. As far as getting your machine repaired in Paris, I would expect the cost to be higher than what it would be in the States. Get an estimate first.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks very much for replying. Can you tell me what a good price would be (in US dollars) for the display case/display only? Also, do you know if Apple charges one flat price for the part and its installation?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In the States that repair would probably cost around $600 (parts + labor) but I'm sure European prices will likely be higher.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.