Mac Mini Accept ram from mac book pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro Intel 2 Mac Mini Power PCS 1,33 G4
Hi,
I have just upgraded my Macbook pro ram to 4g and have taken out 2 single sticks of ram that are -

Size: 1 GB
Type: DDR2 SDRAM
Speed: 667 MHz

I am lucky also to have 2 Mac Mini's Power Pcs spec-
1.33ghz power pc g4 with 512mm DDR SDRAM installed

My question is can I install the ram from the MacPro to my Mac Minis?

Have looked for answer could'nt find it so appreciate your help and apols if the question has been answered before.
Any idea?

Best
JP:Oops:

C

chas_m

No. Actually looking at the ram modules you're talking about would have given you this answer as well. Sorry.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Power PC Minis use PC2700 or PC3200 Full Size Desktop DDR SDRAM. Your MBP uses DDR2 So-Dimms. DDR and DDR2 are totally different memory technology not to mention So-Dimm's are for notebooks and will not fit in a normal DDR slot of the G4 Mini.

If you had an Intel Mini then the RAM would probably work depending on which Mini (Except for the very latest Mini as it uses DDR3 RAM).

OP
jpkoala
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow !!! thanks that was quick!!! top people for answering this newbie questions hope you win the lotto.
Cheers
JP.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Glad we could help.

I own both a 1.5Ghz G4 Power PC Mini and 2.16 C2D Intel Mini. I really wish Apple would have gone with 2 So-Dimm's in the G4 Minis but they went with just one DDR stick.

OP
jpkoala
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do have Minimac Intel

Once again thanks for the quick reply and I just remembered:eek: one of the Minimacs is an Intel :D with Airport in it.

So, judging from the date it was bought I think 2007-08 if I understand the threads it appears I could try the spare ram in the Intel?.

Out of interest,what would happen if you did insert the incorrect ram?

I assume it just wouldn't work but would it damage any components ? Again I assume it would not? however I learned a long time ago one should never assume!

All the best,

JP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.