• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Have you influenced anyone to get a mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
Have you ever influenced anyone to get a mac and they bought one and loved it? I have recently with my friend. At first he said he hated macs, then when i told him to get on the iMacs in the library (I think I told him, maybe i forced him. whatever.) I showed him how to use it and all the easy commands like apple w/q/o/etc. and he thought it was pretty cool and liked the way and feel of it. Now he really wants to get a mac. What about you guys?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes,a guy I work with was finally fed up with his PC and wanted a new laptop to take on the road. I let him look at my iBook for a few hours and he went and bought one that night.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I hope so - it's part of my job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I don't try to influence anyone to purchase anything. I do my best to do quite the opposite. I do encourage people to make their own decisions and come to their own conclusions about what they want/need a computer for. If that happens to be a Mac, then its a Mac. If that happens to be a Windows system, then so be it. But nobody should go around trying to convert the masses to any particular platform or OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
D3v1L80Y said:
I don't try to influence anyone to purchase anything....I do encourage people to make their own decisions and come to their own conclusions

Amen brother! It's important to inform but not push. I'm currently trying to get my mum interested in one. She wants a laptop to help her with her work but she can't even worth a TV remote! So I reckon that a Mac is best for her. I'm also telling a friend about them as he's thinking about a new laptop as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
none so far, but i try everyday

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
I have convinced everyone here in my office to get one, and a SSG (Staff Sergeant), who works with me plans on buying one for his family for christmas, he is contemplating a mini, or an imac, I told him to go with the imac, more economical, no need to buy an external lcd monitor, and they are faster.

L

lil

Yes, all the time in my old job...

Dang I loved that job.

(Worked in an AppleCentre)

Vicky

B

badmojo

A buddy of mine got his first exposure to my iMac G5 viewing an HD trailer. A week later he bought one. Once people see a mac, they're hooked.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Yeah, I take the same approach as Devilboy. I surely wouldn't enjoy people convincing me to switch to Windows. If someone has strong and doubtful oppinions of the mac, I'll just simply say that you have justified your reasoning for using Windows, and I have justified using macs for my reasoning. If people are interested in my mac and about macs in general, I'll be happy to fill them in. :cool:

T

Tel

I agree with Devilboy too. I influenced my brother to get an iBook not long after I got mine but only because he used it occasionally and liked it, I also showed him some of the cool stuff that can be done with it and he got one a couple of weeks after.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
A guy I know from another forum just e-mailed me this morning asking about an iBook. He's a lifelong Windows user but is interested in switching to an iBook for taking notes in class etc.

I view that as he came to me, I'm just providing info. He was already interested in buying one. As far as comments made above, I'm not going to try to "convert" the masses, but if someone is already interested and comes to me and asks I will be more than happy to give them the pros and cons of Mac ownership.

Some of you make it sound like helping those who ask is bad and I would disgaree.

Reaction score
iWonder said:
Have you ever influenced anyone to get a mac and they bought one and loved it? .........What about you guys?

I hope I've never tried to influence anyone into buying a mac. (unless Steve pays me) I hope I've been able to present arguements sufficiently for them to understand based on my experience with my PB. Hopefully their objectives will be met.

I fell in love with my PB ever since the TI's were introduced....never could justify buying one....until recently... I love it for it's beauty....that's it. It's still pathetic compared to Wintel laptops in performance / price. I can't wait till the mactels come out...

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Anybody here make the switch by themselves? That's how it happened for me. I never knew anybody, who owned a mac to start with, nor did I ever get to tried one out, before I got my first one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
I was in the same postion as you iWhat. No-one around here has a Mac, and I decided to take the plunge and I do not regret it.

A few people have now become interested, with on person buying two Mac's in as many months.

I must say, that my husband, who is not technically savvy at all, finds the Mac much easier and prefers them to PC's. It is much easier for me too because everytime he went on the PC and he got an error message/bluescreen/freezing he would shout may name immediately to sort it out.

This has never happened with the Mac - infact now he asks me how to do things on it, instead of asking me to sort it out, which is much better because he is learning more.

He has learned more since using a Mac for the last year than he has with using PC's for the last 6 years. LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 14", Intel-iMac 17"
iWhat said:
Anybody here make the switch by themselves? That's how it happened for me. I never knew anybody, who owned a mac to start with, nor did I ever get to tried one out, before I got my first one.
Same, except that I got to try Mac OS X a couple of times in stores.. and loved it. I'm the only mac user I know but I think some of my friends really want to make the switch, after they've tried my iBook.

Reaction score
the only times i got to use one was a little bit in my video class. I used it strictly in final cut pro and newer really ventured much outside of that app. I then justified my PB purchase to my parents (which i spent my own money on anyways...parents and making you justify crap gez...) strictly on my basis that i had found something that i absolutely love and needed it to accel in video. Well i have come a long way since then and wow do i love it... if i have to ever go back to a PC strictly they better sort out alot of issues before i go back there. I have learned so much of the os and it has helped me streamline so many things i do. I had to jump on my moms pc today to do something on the internet and i went to switch windows by going to the top right corner and show all the windows and nothing happened...it made me sad and then made me feel stupid lol.

on the topic of influencing people to get one i have influenced 3 and a 4th one wants to buy one as soon as she graduates and has the money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
I convinced my mum + sister to get a Mac Mini and my dad to get an iBook :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core solo Mac mini 1.5GHz, Headless Powerbook G4 500MHz
iWhat said:

Im sorta like u. My story is my dad tried to force me agenst mac's ever since We first got our first PeeCee. Ive always loved mac's. My dads hat towards them made me switch. thanks dad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
D3v1L80Y said:
I don't try to influence anyone to purchase anything. I do my best to do quite the opposite. I do encourage people to make their own decisions and come to their own conclusions about what they want/need a computer for. If that happens to be a Mac, then its a Mac. If that happens to be a Windows system, then so be it. But nobody should go around trying to convert the masses to any particular platform or OS.
I think you can have "influence" without actively trying to influence anyone, or even to advise or inform.

For example, if you open up an Apple laptop in a public place, like an airport or something, and start working on it...people notice. They may never speak to you or make eye contact, but it's hard to ignore a glowing white logo across the aisle. Just seeing someone doing something (hopefully) useful or fun with a product can subconsciously influence people that it is a fun or useful thing to have. If a friend or family member notices, the influence can be even more powerful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.