new ibook and 20" cinema screen?

Reaction score
Do these work together? I mean, if i had the 12" ibook and bought the 20" cinema screen, would i be able to hook up the external monitor and have it at the native resolution, rather than the 1024x768 max res of the ibook?

I want to switch to apple, but dunno whether to get ibook or mac mini, would prefer the ibook, but if it doesnt work with the 20" screen, then i may be tempted to go with the mac mini.

Cheers in advance,

Edward

Reaction score
Cinema Displays are DVI(Digital) input only. The iBooks are VGA(Analog) output only. You can get converters but they are very expensive, probably be better off going with a PowerBook with DVI out instead of buying a converter. Also Apple doesn't officially support the output of resolutions higher than 1024x768 on the iBook, but it can be accomplished with software hack.

The Dell 2005FPW, very similar to the Apple 20in Cinema but cheaper, has VGA inputs which would allow it to easily be hooked to an iBook.

OP
E
Reaction score
darn, really? didnt know that. Thats put an end to that then, darn. Powerbooks are a bit too expensive for me atm.

OP
E
Reaction score
what about the mac mini, can that output to the 20" apple screen, or is that the same as the ibook?

cheers for the speedy reply

Reaction score
edwardcasbon said:
what about the mac mini, can that output to the 20" apple screen, or is that the same as the ibook?

mac mini outputs DVI, but also comes with an adapter to output VGA. So, YES, it will work with a 20in Cinema Display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
i would recomend getting the imac over the mini and the 20 inch cinima display.. the imac is a faster computer and it comes out to the same price since you don't have to buy a screen too...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Yeah... I would probably do the same. That G5 makes a huge difference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.