Mixed platform network setup...not the usual!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini G4 1.25ghz 1gb Ram
As a happy problem free (touch-wood) mac user, my access to the internet is often frustrated by the failing of our home network's main PC. We currently have a network in the following config:

[- denotes wired connection] [= denotes wireless connection] Please ignore dots..for alignment only!

ADSL--->PC desktop====>ACCESS POINT===>PC desktop
..........................................................===>PC Laptop
..........................................................===>Imac (not always present)

Currently my Imac has no setup probs, nor does the laptop (user keeps system spotless!) But the PC into which the adsl comes often falls over because it is used by about 5 inexperienced users who pollute it with tons of viri, spyware, adware etc..which then of course screws up the internet for all other users on the system.

So my question is...can anyone advise on a way to setup some form of network logon system for the main windows PCs, my thinking being that I could use a system similar to schools and businesses etc, whereby the inexperienced users can logon to use internet and software etc but can't screw with settings or install network crippling viruses etc. The wireless PC isn't used a whole lot, is there potential to use this as a server of some kind? Any other suggestions also gladly accepted!

I know this is a very PC orientated question, but I don't know of any computing forums more helpful and friendly than this one! Surely some of you network bods on here can help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
My suggestion would be to get that PC out of the way. Get a wired router, and plug your ADSL connection, the PC and access point into that.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I concur. Get a router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I also agree, get the router!

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBookG4 said:
I also agree, get the router!

Thanks for the replies. A router is something that I have suggested before, and will suggest again! Can you run an ADSL line directly into a router? I know cable lines work, but doesn't the ADSL line need the software to "dial-up/connect?"

Just in case anyone else is interested, since posting this thread I have come across a pc app called DeepFreeze which may be useful to try and control the mess on the hub PC!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I 4th that - a router would seem like the easiest solution here.
It'll basically split the internet connection up for all systems before it even gets to the PC.

Alternatively, you can set up restricted user accounts using Windows XP, check out this page for more info:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/getstarted/configaccount.mspx

I think you'd basically need the Guest or restricted account type, as even a regular (i.e. non-admin) account is fairly vulnerable to internet crap under Windows.

Or buy another mac and forget about that stuff?

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
I think you'd basically need the Guest or restricted account type, as even a regular (i.e. non-admin) account is fairly vulnerable to internet crap under Windows.

Or buy another mac and forget about that stuff?

Well I'm just advising my family on the best situation here, most of the time I'm away at uni anyway so they'll have to sort it themselves eventually! But you guys are supplying me with lotsa nice juicy backup for the new router argument, thanks!

You won't be suprised to know either, they have already been using the restricted account settings in XP, and this has been pretty much uselss in the fight against malware on that machine! Even though if you try and install anything intentionally in guest accounts, you can't! Figures!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can run ADSL through a router, you don't need that software for the pc, you can put your user name into the router, pluss this will not require the PC to be on all the time, and for every minute that pc is on the interent under a high speed connection esspecially when nobody is using it, it becomes vulnerable to viruse since they will download very quickly and have many oppertunities to get in since it is always on, Therefore the routere will be the best choice.

When you get the router plug in your ethernet cable from your ADSL modem to your router, open up your brower on a networked computer. Type in 192.168.1.1 in the adress bar, depending on your router brand there will be setting for TC/IP in one of the tabs. You are going to want to make sure it is set to PPoE and then you can put in your ADSL Service providers, username and password that they provided you. There will only be one kind of router that will be different that will be the apple airport, that has its own utility in the utilities folder and if you decide to get that kind we will help you set that one up when the time comes, unless you are unsure and do not want do come back I can give you detailed instructions on that along with screen shots, just say the word and I will go more in depth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well I'm just advising my family on the best situation here, most of the time I'm away at uni anyway so they'll have to sort it themselves eventually! But you guys are supplying me with lotsa nice juicy backup for the new router argument, thanks!

I think the problem is that they don't want to buy a router as you can theoretically just do it through the XP box, but obviously that's not working out so well.

Are they using Internet Explorer? Get them using Firefox, that might help slow the spam...
Any PC I set up is forbidden to go online without: Firefox, XP SP2, Zone Alarm Firewall, Virus scanner, Xp Antispy, Adware/Spyware tools.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
I think the problem is that they don't want to buy a router as you can theoretically just do it through the XP box, but obviously that's not working out so well.

Are they using Internet Explorer? Get them using Firefox, that might help slow the spam...
Any PC I set up is forbidden to go online without: Firefox, XP SP2, Zone Alarm Firewall, Virus scanner, Xp Antispy, Adware/Spyware tools.
Don't forget to run Spybot once a week, Spybot is free and works really well.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just like to thank everyone for their advice last week, I replaced all the previous network setup with a adsl modem/router. Strangely the signal reaches the whole house and garden now, whereas the old access point didn't, and the computer that was previously acting as a hub, is flying without having the Alcatel ADSL router attatched for some reason! So everything is working like a dream!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
awesome glad we were of help and your network is running better now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.