Just bought a gig of memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
I went to put it in the left hand slot. It is Centon brand from Compusa. They recommended it for the mac.

I closed everything back up and it won't power on. I put the old memory back in and it won't power on.

I read that if it isn't seated correctly it won't power on.

I seated and reseated the old memory with no luck.

Any ideas? Did I do something wrong? I do this stuff for a living (Sun Unix Engineer) so I made sure I was grounded and I didn't force anything, etc...

Ideas?

Thanks!

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 macbook
Well, is the battery set in correctly?
Sometimes we all miss the small things.

Btw- Cool job!

OP
mac747
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Techno Mutant said:
Well, is the battery set in correctly?
Sometimes we all miss the small things.

Btw- Cool job!

Thanks! I called Apple and they want me to call back tomorrow. They think it might be a hardware problem with the slot because the lever wouldn't eject the memory and return back to normal position.

Tim

Reaction score
mac747 said:
I went to put it in the left hand slot. It is Centon brand from Compusa. They recommended it for the mac.

I closed everything back up and it won't power on. I put the old memory back in and it won't power on.

I read that if it isn't seated correctly it won't power on.

I seated and reseated the old memory with no luck.

Any ideas? Did I do something wrong? I do this stuff for a living (Sun Unix Engineer) so I made sure I was grounded and I didn't force anything, etc...

Ideas?

Thanks!

Tim

In your other thread I notice you were advised not to buy the Centon ram as it was incompatible with your mac?

I'm a bit confused as to whether you went ahead and bought the Centon 512MB PC3200 200pin DDR SODIMM Memory Module after being advised that you needed DDR2 667mhz RAM for your MacBook.

OP
mac747
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pulse-8 said:
In your other thread I notice you were advised not to buy the Centon ram as it was incompatible with your mac?

I'm a bit confused as to whether you went ahead and bought the Centon 512MB PC3200 200pin DDR SODIMM Memory Module after being advised that you needed DDR2 667mhz RAM for your MacBook.

What other thread are you referring to? Today I bought the Centon 1GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667mhz 200 pin memory.

Tim

Reaction score
mac747 said:
What other thread are you referring to? Today I bought the Centon 1GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667mhz 200 pin memory.

Tim

I'm sorry mac747 but I just finished reading this thread when I read your post and mistakenly took them to be from the same person....it was the Centon name and the fact you both mention MacBooks that did it.....lol

OP
mac747
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pulse-8 said:
I'm sorry mac747 but I just finished reading this thread when I read your post and mistakenly took them to be from the same person....it was the Centon name and the fact you both mention MacBooks that did it.....lol

Oh. No problem...

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
did you make sure to keep yourself grounded in order to avoid static shocks which can fry electronics?
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 macbook
Heh, I made the same conclusion although I read this topic first! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Well, Tim, I hope you are able to figure out whatever is kepping your MacBook from powering on. Hopefully it is something simple and easy.

OP
mac747
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I was grounded. I do this stuff for a living so I knew to do that.

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
^You already stated that in your original post, people cant read...

OP
mac747
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I did, didn't I!? Guess I can't read either! ha ha...

S

sursuciofla

Hope you figure it out. I think you should get replacement from where you purchased it since it seems like bad RAM. But maybe like you stated earlier it is hardware problem. Like I said good luck and I hope you get it resolved soon.

OP
mac747
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sursuciofla said:
Hope you figure it out. I think you should get replacement from where you purchased it since it seems like bad RAM. But maybe like you stated earlier it is hardware problem. Like I said good luck and I hope you get it resolved soon.

Apple is sending me a box to ship the computer back to them in. They said that since I'm past the 14 days (I'm on day 16), they can't replace it for a new one. They also told me my wife might lose all of the pictures she has on her hard drive, so I better go find a way to back it up. They ALSO told me that if I had bought the computer from an Apple Store and not from a reseller (American Musical Supply) I could have taken the computer into the Apple store for an exchange "maybe".

Where are all these rules when you are buying the computer? All I know is I went online, found a place that sells macbooks, and clicked add to cart and didn't see ANYTHING about any of the stuff they told me. Funny thing is, I bought MY macbook (broken one is wife's) Saturday night at the Apple Store and I asked the guy when I was checking out if there are any perks or anything that goes along with buying the macbook from the Apple store instead of online and he said "nope". I mentioned this to the service guy on the phone and he said "well it's not really a perk"....

Whatever...

Tim

S

sursuciofla

So did you purchase it 16 days ago OR have you had it in your possession for 16 days?

Also American Music has a 45 day guarantee so I would call them first before sending to Apple. You may be able to get an exchangge from them considering their 45 day guarantee.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Content.aspx?id=11&lr=y

Edit: Well just read it is a non-returnable item when I searched the product. Oh well. At least Apple will fix it free of charge.

OP
mac747
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
American Musical just said they will only return it for exchange or refund if Apple authorizes it. I can't believe that just because I'm 2 days past the 14 days they won't do anything else. I mean I understand they have the policy and its 14 days and not 16 days, but still....

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Oh man, thats a bummer. So it was working fine up until before you installed ram?

OP
mac747
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Greenredfield said:
Oh man, thats a bummer. So it was working fine up until before you installed ram?

It wasn't exactly fine. The very first time I opened it it wouldn't power on. I plugged it and unplugged it and messed with the power button and FINALLY got it to turn on. Haven't had that problem again til now.

So yeah, I push the left lever to eject the memory and it just wedges it and pushes it down and doesn't eject it.

This sux. If it was a freaking DELL I'd have a replacement already. Apple is supposed to be customer driven and they could easily send me a replacement. The right slot works fine. The left slot is the problem. the little lever has lost its "spring".

The guy at the apple store tonight told me that if I bought it there they would replace it because they can "bend" the 14 day rule.

WELL WHY CAN'T APPLE THEN!? Uggghhh...

I sat on hold tonight for 50 minutes after I got back from the apple store because I wanted to discuss this with them. They hung up on me after 50 minutes and I was NOT about to call back and wait for another hour...

I just setup an appt. with a "genius" at the applestore to see if its something they can fix while I wait....

wish me luck.

Tim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.