want a printer for my Mac that only uses black cartridges

Reaction score
I want a printer for my Macbook that only uses black cartridges. I am not interested in color printing. My Macbook is OS X 10.5.8
Does that mean that an HP printer that is listed as compatible with OS X 10.5 will work with my computer?

Reaction score
Sure it will, with the proper update maybe, or perhaps there's no update necessary... Just browse to the site of the printer manufacturer, and navigate to the driversection, and download the driver.

No offense intended, the last remark is incase other people read this and don't know how to...

T

todd51

Mostly any major printer brand (HP, Canon, Epson) should be supported for Leopard. I think the only brand that I have heard of having issues with OS X is Dell. So I would just stay away from Dell printers.

Reaction score
i have found that the brother printers work really really really slowly with my macbook. So maybe stay away from them. i haven't found one that works just like it would normally work with a normal 'pc'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook5,2, iPad 16 gb, iPhone 3GS 32 gb, Iphone 4
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Another vote for the Brother laser! Works great, toner lasts a long time. Flawlessly wireless with two macbooks. Very happy! Under $100 )can often get a "deal" and get them for $50 - $70)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you're only printing black, then I would highly suggest a simple laser printer. A toner cartridge may cost a bit more than your regular ink cartridges, but they last MUCH longer, so in the end you save a lot of money. Then there's time, a laser printer spits out pages before an inkjet would get past a few lines. Plus simple laser printers themselves are relatively cheap.

HP LaserJet P1006 - $89.99

I've been using an earlier version of the above for a little over 4 years now and I have only replaced the toner once. Keep in mind that I print quite a lot, tons of papers in college and now in law school.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.