permissions/verify disc problem & front row update not possible

Reaction score
I don't know if these 2 problems are related but i know they always come back! I HAVE REFORMATED MY HD TWICE BUT AFTER SOME TIME SAME PROBLEM AGAIN...
Everytime i try to run Front Row update 2.1.7 i get the following message: The update “Front Row Update” can’t be installed A networking error has occurred: Cannot open file (-3001). Make sure you can connect to the Internet, then try again.
Now about the permissions, if i run the permission repair, i always get this:Repairing permissions for “MAC OS”
Reading permissions database.
Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/AirPort Base Station Agent.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/Address Book.app/Contents/Resources/MailInviteBundle.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be 80, group is 0.
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Info.plist", should be 80, group is 0.
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Info.plist", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/MacOS/JavaPluginCocoa", should be 80, group is 0.
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/MacOS/JavaPluginCocoa", should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/MacOS", should be 80, group is 0.
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/MacOS", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Localizable.strings", should be 80, group is 0.
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Localizable.strings", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources", should be 80, group is 0.
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/version.plist", should be 80, group is 0.
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/version.plist", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents", should be 80, group is 0.
Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Components/AudioCodecs.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DotMacSyncManager.framework/Versions/A/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DotMacSyncManager.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DotMacSyncHelper.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DotMacSyncManager.framework/Versions/A/Resources/dotmacsyncui.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DotMacLegacy.framework/Versions/A/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeDirectory", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeSignature", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/CCacheServer.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Kerberos.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/KerberosAgent.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/Kerberos.framework/Versions/A/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/KerberosPlugins/KerberosDatabasePlugins/db2.bundle/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/KerberosPlugins/KerberosDatabasePlugins/kldap.bundle/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPDisplaysReporter.spreporter/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources", should be ?--------- , they are ---------- .

no mater how many times i will run the permission repair, i'll always get the same thing...
Now if i try to "verify HD" i get this:Performing live verification.
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Missing thread record (id = 5183864)
Incorrect number of thread records
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Invalid volume directory count
(It should be 149087 instead of 149088)
Invalid volume file count
(It should be 624943 instead of 624947)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume MAC OS needs to be repaired.

Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

I don't really know how this affect the performances of my macbookpro(2.4Ghz 4Gb RAM2) but it bothers me, i process 21MB photo files all the time and it gets sooooo slow... Any help very welcome...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My opinion: Make a backup of everything as soon as possible and replace that hard drive with a new one. The permissions repair failure and improper file count and volume directory count are indications of a failing HDD. The fact that you have formatted twice and Disk Utility can not verify nor repair the drive is further proof.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
woao!!! new hd? this mac is just over 1 year old, the problem occured since i bought it almost... I wish i went on this forum before the warranty ended... Should i buy a new HD in an apple shop or any generic pc parts shop? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If it's just over a year old, going into an apple genius bar, they should still honor the warranty under "fitness for purpose".
This is part of the trades practices act in Australia, where you pay a certain amount for something, and you except use of that product in full working order for a reasonable amount of time.
Warranties are not set in concrete!
I am certain that the same in your country would apply.
In saying that, I am still pretty confident that if you took it into apple, that they would just simply swap the drive over it being just over the 1year mark.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would also recommend running the SMART Utility to verify the diagnosis of a failing drive. Disk Utility isn't the most powerful of disk tools out there and I've seen it act wonky on perfectly good drives.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
tried the SMART utility, my disc passed the test?.. I'm going to the apple store...

Good. That's a pretty good indicator that the drive is OK, but your issues lie somewhere in the filesystem. I really wish Disk Utility had more thorough disk utilities built-in. I use TechTool Pro and have found it to be quite useful in situations where I'm encountering FS corruption similar to this.

OP
S
Reaction score
the guy at the applestore ran DISHWARRIOR soft and it fixed the directory problems. Now i can do the "verify disc" and it is ok. I still have the permissions issues but the guy said it is no big deal. Meanwhile a dude walked by, (he seemed to know what he was talking about) and after listening to my conversation with the apple technician added that it is useful sometimes to leave your computer ON for a day or 2, somehow while doing so it does automatically a great deal of maintenance... I thought i could share that here... THANKS! PS nobody paid attention to my inability to run the "front row update"... so why should i worry hu?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What you were told about the maintenance routines is partly correct. In earlier versions of OS S the maintenance routines run as a normal part of OS operations occurred at specified times daily, weekly, and monthly. These routines usually ran early in the morning. These maintenance routines could also be triggered by utilities such as Onyx.

With the last several versions of OS X this is no longer necessary. If your machine is not on when the maintenance routines are scheduled to run they will run the next time the machine is powered up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.