External hard drive for storage plus backup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
I got a new MacBook Air (the first computer I've ever personally owned) a couple weeks ago and love it. I'm looking in to getting an external hard drive for backups via Time Machine. However, I also want to use the external hard drive (portable) for storage of files (mostly thousands of photos). I currently have these files stored on a five year old Seagate EHD. I need to have these photos backed up elsewhere. I don't want to put them on my MacBook (120 GB).

If I purchase an external hard drive, is it possible to use it both for regular backups and for storage? Would I need to create a partition?

Thanks for any advice!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If I purchase an external hard drive, is it possible to use it both for regular backups and for storage? Would I need to create a partition?

Yes it is possible. When you format it the first time...create at least two partitions. One for the backups...and one for the file storage.:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Thank you, Nick!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You are welcome!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.