My data keeps disappearing.

F

flyin3d

Strange, I know, but I swear that every time I burn a home video to dvd, I test it on three different devices: the Sony DW-U10A inside my G5, my standalone Sony DVP-NC615, and my PC's Sony DRU-500UA. All players playback fine when tested. Now, less than 10 days later, these videos will not play in any of these machines. I have used the same media throughout (Maxell DVD-R) which again playback fine at first but in time loose their playablity. I have used the same media with my PC and after a year and a half these DVDs still playback.

Someone please help!

Thanks

Justin.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Here is what I understand. You use Maxell DVD-R to create DVD videos. You have been using Maxell DVDs for about a year and a half on your PC with no problems. Lately you create a DVD video on G5 and verify it on your G5, PC and your DVD player. It plays fine on all of the devices you have. After a period of ten days you are unable to play the newly created disk.

Is this only one disk? Is it more than one DVD from the same package? Have you purchased another package of disk and having the same problem? Have you tried a different vendor for DVDs? Are the DVDs in question clean and free of scratches?

OP
F

flyin3d

rman said:
Here is what I understand. You use Maxell DVD-R to create DVD videos. You have been using Maxell DVDs for about a year and a half on your PC with no problems. Lately you create a DVD video on G5 and verify it on your G5, PC and your DVD player. It plays fine on all of the devices you have. After a period of ten days you are unable to play the newly created disk.

Is this only one disk? Is it more than one DVD from the same package? Have you purchased another package of disk and having the same problem? Have you tried a different vendor for DVDs? Are the DVDs in question clean and free of scratches?

Total disks in question is 16. I bought them all from the same Sears at different times in 5 pack sets (I live in a small community so they may have all been from the same shipment though). All disks are in perfect condition. Everything else you understand is correct except that now, after checking again, the -R media recorded w/ the PC doesnt playback either. I know it did a few weeks ago when I checked them (these were recorded up to a year plus ago). So it looks like its probably a media problem rather than a system problem. Regardless, it would be nice to be able to recover this data. Is this possible?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Justin.

OP
T

TylerMoney

hmm....that is interesting...try a different brand....or try using one of the same disks on someone elses dvd burner...preferably one on a mac to keep things linear....then see if it works normally.....if it doesn't...try it on someones pc dvd burner....if it still doesn't work..then you definently got some bad disks....if it works after someone elses mac burns it...then you might need to call apple and ask them what the hells up with that.....it definently sounds like a disc problem though....I hear after a few different things dvd or cds can stop working...but thats if you write on them with anything but a special cd or dvd pen...the acid in sharpies for example, will slowly deteriorate (spelling?) over time..usually we're talking several years.

what are you labaling your dvds with btw?.....it could be someting your putting on them...or maybe where you are storing them...in an abnormally warm or cold place...maybe you haven't even noticed..I'd check....

So yeah....that's the best info I can give..that shouln't be happening....

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Adding a little more to what TylerMoney, said. If you scratch the top surface of the disk, it will cause disk failure also. I use Maxell's DVD Permanent Disc Markers to label my disks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I have heard that disk brand can be amazingly strange results in burn results

OP
F

flyin3d

I do use sharpies to label. I didnt even think of it having any ill effects on the disk but I would not be surprised. I guess I am just used to doing it on non-important music cds. Is it possible that I scratched the top of the disk also? It doesnt seem to be scratched though. I will definately discontinue that. I keep the disks in my closet. Never abnormally hot or cold, just a little humidity. I bought some Fuji disks and will start the experiment with them as you suggested, Tyler. I just think even writing on them with a sharpie pen, they would still be ok after 10 days. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks,

Justin.

OP
T

TylerMoney

this is true, they should be ok for several years...but you could possibly have a freakish sharpie that happens to ammit more alchohol than normal...but it's probably one of the other problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.