Lost iLife '11

Reaction score
Hi,
My friend recently had problems with her new Macbook Pro (bought less than a month ago as of 15th Oct. 2011) and i had to completely wipe it and reinstall Lion for her. Now, her macbook didn't come with any install DVDs, apparently Apple aren't doing this anymore? I had to install Lion using the DVD that i had created from the .dmg that i had bought from the app store.
Everything is working fine now and she running OS X 10.7.1, but she's lost her iLife apps. She no longer has iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband.
Is there anyway of getting these apps back? They were originially preinstalled on her system but no application DVDs came with her mac so i can't reinstall them for her.
Any help is appreciated,
Thanks
mrmeister

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Did she register the machine with an Apple ID? If she did, all you have to do is open the Mac App store and re-download them.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry, i forgot to mention, we've already tried going into the app store with her apple id and we can't re-download the apps

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Did you make a backup prior to starting the reinstall? With what?

You reinstalled Lion from where? The Recovery partition on her machine or a USB key you made - although I'm not sure if the recovery partition on a new machine would include the iLife suite installs or not. Have not tried it on mine.

For next time - re-installing OS X is rarely required and should only be used as a last option - this ain't Windows. So, unless someone's been playing around with hidden system files they shouldn't have, a reinstall shouldn't be necessary.

OP
M
Reaction score
Basically, she had tried to install Windows 7 via bootcamp and i guess it didn't take. She couldn't boot into the mac side of her hard drive. Whenever she got to the login screen and typed her password in, the screen would change for a second, then revert to needing the password. I ran the "verify disk" command from disk utility and it said that there was an error, the hard drive was corrupt and needed to be reinstalled. So i downloaded a program called MacDrive for windows to allow me to see her mac partition, copied her user folders for all her personal stuff, and then wiped everything.
I reinstalled from a DVD that i had made.
Unfortunately, she didn't have a backup, but she's now bought an external to use as a backup for the future.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My guess then, probably will have to call Apple. Make sure once installed - she gets her system registered with her Apple ID and this would be a non-issue and registered in the App Store.

This whole discless install stuff is a pitr.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
This whole discless install stuff is a pitr.

Yes, it's definitely not Scottish.

That said, if it was bought last October, it came with media.. and there should be a second disk with all the iLife stuff on it.

OP
M
Reaction score
That said, if it was bought last October, it came with media.. and there should be a second disk with all the iLife stuff on it.

Well i stated in the first post that it was not bought last october, but within a month from todays date (15th Oct. 2011).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Well i stated in the first post that it was not bought last october, but within a month from todays date (15th Oct. 2011).

Sorry, sometimes I'm not up to my full caffeine level. For some reason (perhaps because it's over 100ºf again) I was thinking it was still summer. IN that case.. yep.. everything above applies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.