iPad or new Macbook Air 11''?

Reaction score
I'm going to sell my Acer laptop in order to fund the purchase of the iPad. Probably a refurb 32gb, or maybe the 64. But, should I even give a look to the new, smaller Macbook Air?

I'm just a casual browser when it comes the internet. No gaming or anything like that. So, what would you suggest guys?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I am assuming you have another computer other than the Acer? I just bought the 11" yesterday and love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I am assuming you have another computer other than the Acer? I just bought the 11" yesterday and love it.

Good (and very important) point! If you're considering an iPad, you have to have a desktop or notebook of some sort to activate it and load it with media.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Then it's your call. I think it is a great machine (the MBA). Check them out in person if you haven't already.

OP
J
Reaction score
I should. Only thing that I dont like that I read is that it doesnt have the backlit keyboard, but hey, it's the low end model..lol.

Guess you cant have it all in such a small package.

Reaction score
IMO they have very different uses....the ipad is light email, browsing, entertainment, reading etc....its just not a computer.

That being said, Id part with my laptop before my iPad.

OP
J
Reaction score
I think I'll just stick with the iPad.

If I need to do any heavy computing, I'll use the desktop...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Just curious, did you opt for Apple care when you bought it? Reason I ask is we're also considering buying one in lieu of an iPad. My thoughts were since there are no user serviceable anything in the new Air, it looks like Apple care may be a must. I hate to pay an additional $249 though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I should. Only thing that I dont like that I read is that it doesnt have the backlit keyboard, but hey, it's the low end model..lol.

Guess you cant have it all in such a small package.

Almost positive none of the models have the backlit keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Just curious, did you opt for Apple care when you bought it? Reason I ask is we're also considering buying one in lieu of an iPad. My thoughts were since there are no user serviceable anything in the new Air, it looks like Apple care may be a must. I hate to pay an additional $249 though.

I always get AppleCare after the fact. Pretty good deals to be had on Fleabay (if you're careful). I would recommend it though on the new MBA's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Having had an ipad, I would pick the 11.6" mba over it, especially if you plauyed fair and maxed out the memory on the ipad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
We recently sold our 64GB 3G iPad and plan to purchase a 11" MBA with upgraded RAM. The iPad was to serve as a "travel" computer but we found that we really needed to bring a laptop in addition to the iPad when we traveled. Just too much electronic baggage to rely solely on the iPad. We will miss the 3G for getting online at roadside rest stops, but then again my cellular phone will tether so it's not a huge loss. We are likely to get an 11" with 4GB of RAM and a 128GB drive, but haven't decided on whether the 1.6Ghz CPU is worth it for the lite tasks we will be asking of it.

Reaction score
First of all consider several factors why you want to buy an Ipad, you mentioned you are selling your laptop well the Ipad has several limitations when it comes to
creating files. The new 11.6 Mac Book Air is as light as the Ipad and pretty handy for travelers. IF I were you I would go for the laptop.

Reaction score
i pad is the good choice. I have both macbook and ipad. but since i have the ipad i hardly open my macbook. It have so much thing on there such as iwork net (that is enough for me to do daily work) Ipad even have more game then game that you could install in the laptop...However, the rumors about ipad 2 are there in the market so i think you should wait and consider that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
I'd go with a a new MBA. I have an ipad, and the limitations are forgivable considering I have a laptop. I'm planning on retiring the MBP next Spring so the 13" MBA will be assuming duties. There's a video on youtube of someone playing Modern Warfare on the 13" with 2GB of ram so I'm comfortable knowing that the Air can handle whatever I throw at it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
I too am about to sell the 64gb 3g ipad. For a few weeks, I was satisfied carrying it to work instead of my 15" MBP. But alas, I missed the real computing experience. It just didn't fit my needs. I think the only thing I will miss will be playing my iphone games on that huge screen. But I can't justify an $800 piece of equipment that only gets used for light gaming purposes. I may pick up the low end 11" MBA for back and forth to work, but I could never part with the MBP. The power it provides in a (somewhat) portable package is enough reason to always have one in the stable.

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get a MacBook Air 11" for christmas, I was checking them out at the Apple Store, and there small, lightweight, and looks powerful for a small laptop like that.

I have a iPad, the trouble is, you can't do much computing tasks, mainly it's just the internet, and apps, although I like my ipad for when I take it on journeys, but it looks when I get my MacBook Air 11" for christmas I will be taking that as it's so thin, and portable. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
If the new MBA was available I would have bought it over the ipad. No question about it.

Reaction score
I'm going to sell my Acer laptop in order to fund the purchase of the iPad. Probably a refurb 32gb, or maybe the 64. But, should I even give a look to the new, smaller Macbook Air?

I'm just a casual browser when it comes the internet. No gaming or anything like that. So, what would you suggest guys?

Thanks.

I also have a laptop and a iPad I would say 95% of the time I use my iPad, and when I need to type a long letter or email files I do it through my laptop.

But I do recommend 3G iPad it is so nice to be able to use the Internet anywhere you go.

I had the Wifi version first and sold it for the 3G version

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.