• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Planetary Gravitation Simulator

Reaction score
Just recently back into the Mac world after a 20 some odd year hiatus. Gets me thinking back to high school. I cannot find the name of the planetary/gravitation simulation software circa 1991. We had it at our high school, so I don't imagine it was anything professional, may have been freeware or maybe even built into the OS? These were macintosh or macintosh plus, single floppy machines.

Anybody remember the software? You could put planets around each other and create orbits etc.

I realize it probably doesn't run on OSX, but just looking to find the software of my youth if possible.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't help you out with the older program, maybe one of our Mac Dinosaurs can chime in here and come up with an answer. However, the best Astronomy software available for the current line of Macs is called "Starry Night Pro". Rather expensive but it's the best I've ever seen. Starry Night Software

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
After seeing those prices, I'd be looking for a copy of the '91 software also. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
If you want commercial software, Sky Safari is available on the App Store in three versions. If you want free Stellarium is a very good program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.