Mac USB Ports Not Operating ???

Reaction score
Hi

I've just purchased a USB DATA transfer key (Kingston 4Gb) used it twice on my Mac no problems. Now when connecting to the same port USB 2.0 it won't even register not even the icon will appear on the desktop or in finder. Used the same key on my Windows platform and all is fine. Returned the key to the store connected it to one of there Macs and the key works, but still when using the key on my personal Mac nothing comes up, it just won't operate...

Could anyone suggest what the problem could be? :Angry:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you tested the same USB port or ports on your Mac by attaching another USB device to see if it mounts?

It's possible the Kingston 4GB key drew too much power from your USB port and it shut itself down. When that happens, usually a reboot will resolve it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
What model Mac?

It would help to know what model Mac you're using. The older MacBook Pros (pre-unibody) had two boards internally, the main logic board which controlled the USB ports on the right, and a daughter board controlling the left USB, power and audio input. On those units, a USB device might work fine on the right, as it's connected directly to the motherboard, but not on the left, due to slightly reduced voltage. Similar behavior was seen on white iMacs - the ports closer to the center of the machine would work fine, but the outermost wouldn't as it's on the sound card as well and has slightly reduced voltage.

If none of the USB ports are reading the drive, but a usb mouse and keyboard are working, I'd consider the possibility of a USB mass storage driver being corrupted.

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
Have you tested the same USB port or ports on your Mac by attaching another USB device to see if it mounts?
Yes! other USB keys work, and my Kingston works on others too, but not on my Mac, :Shouting:!!!!!!

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
It would help to know what model Mac you're using.
I have a Mac 5.1 with 2 USB ports side by side on the left. the Mac is only 18 months old.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.