Quicktime Plugin Problem

Reaction score
Originally from Costa Rica but traveling in Easter
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Tech Question

Hello,

I just bought a MacBook OS X 10.5.2, 2 GB Intel Core Duo, 2.4 GHz, etc.

For some strange reason i cannot play videos on my computer because everytime i get an error message saying that "Quick time player needs additional plug ins to be able to work". I downloaded Miro & Divx and still can't play videos or movies downloaded from the internet.

I am taken to a web page with a big list of "components" for Quick time player but dont know what exactly i am missing.

Could you please help?

Thanks a bunch in advance,
Andre :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I'm not sure about the problem you are having with Quicktime, but you might try downloading VLC player. It plays just about everything and many prefer it over Quicktime.

Reaction score
Make sure you have Flip4Mac installed, and you may want to check the Windows Media website for Mac web components that you can add to watch wmv files via Quicktime.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Install both Flip4Mac like YouthPastor suggested and also Perian. You should be able to play most anything.

OP
L
Reaction score
Originally from Costa Rica but traveling in Easter
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Ok thanks a lot for your advise...

I proceeded as told, I am trying to play movies with .AVI format but the message still appears after i installed Flip4Mac. The movie plays but there is no sound so i imagine the component that provides the "sound" is the one missing.

Then i get this message in the "Apple Quicktime Components" page:http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resources/components.html?os=OSX&ctype=61646563&csubtype=6d732000

"Note: If you are using a Macintosh with an Intel processor be sure to visit the component developer's web site to download a Universal Binary Component that is compatible with your Intel-based Macintosh. PowerPC-based components will not work in QuickTime on Macintosh with Intel processors."

What's the Universal binary component name that is compatible with my Macbook?

Why am i doing wrong after installing Flip4Mac & Perian? I am getting no sound in the movies?.

I appreciate any help!
Andres

Reaction score
Flip4Mac and Perian (and sometimes VLC) are the primary methods for viewing WMV stuff, however, there *are* other formats of video which to not comply entirely with the WMV standard. In those cases, it may be impossible to get them to play properly.

As a simple test, go to this site and see if the wmv's play correctly with audio: http://asp.net/learn/videos/

If they do, then you've got the plug ins installed correctly, and the video that does not play back correctly, is comprised of an incompatible codec. Your only hope at that point is to send an email to [email protected], and see if they can make it work.

I am getting no sound in the movies?.

I appreciate any help!
Andres

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro (2007 Model)
I had the same problem with playing .avi files, here is what worked for me:

I proceeded as told, I am trying to play movies with .AVI format but the message still appears after i installed Flip4Mac. The movie plays but there is no sound so i imagine the component that provides the "sound" is the one missing.

Then i get this message in the "Apple Quicktime Components" page:Apple - QuickTime - QuickTime Components

"Note: If you are using a Macintosh with an Intel processor be sure to visit the component developer's web site to download a Universal Binary Component that is compatible with your Intel-based Macintosh. PowerPC-based components will not work in QuickTime on Macintosh with Intel processors."

What's the Universal binary component name that is compatible with my Macbook?

Why am i doing wrong after installing Flip4Mac & Perian? I am getting no sound in the movies?.

I appreciate any help!
Andres

1. I just had the same exact problem you described with the same messages. Instead of getting any new programs to fix it I tried using a media converter program called iSquint to play the no audio .avi file, it worked

2. Download a free program called iSquint, it will convert files into .mp4 and allow you to play your .avi file WITH SOUND as a .mp4 file.

3. Other media converter programs will also work, but this happens to be a free one. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hi there.
I've been having the same problem as Andre. Quicktime didn't have the components I needed to play on my Intel Macbook. I've previously downloaded Flip4Mac and now I've just installed Perian and restarted.
It works like a dream!
Thanks forum!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Hello,

I just bought a MacBook OS X 10.5.2, 2 GB Intel Core Duo, 2.4 GHz, etc.

Could you please help?

Thanks a bunch in advance,
Andre :Smirk:

Time to download and install Combo Update - it will help i reckon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.