iomega 1tb external drive not recognized

Reaction score
I have a fairly used 1 tb iomega external hard drive that I store photos on. They are partially backed up. I use it with my imac running osx 10.6.4, but it is no longer recognized. The drive doesn't show up on the desktop, in disk utility or when I restart and hold down option. The drive's blue light is on and it hums and vibrates as if the disk is spinning. I have tried restarting my computer, turning the drive on and off, using different usb cords, plugging into different usb ports and testing it on other machines. Under no circumstance is the drive recognized. I would like to recover the data that isn't backed up if possible. What are my options?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
Wow, not even in disk utility?
Recnetly a co-worker's drives have gone bad, and i was still able to see it in disk utility.

Maybe the connection interface inside the drive has malfunctioned.
Take the drive out and find a way to connect it to your computer.

Something like this will do it" Newer Technology Universal Drive Adapter -... (U2NV2SPATA) at OWC

Besides that i don't know what else to recommend. Hopefully some one else has a better answer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.