how to locate my hard drive

Reaction score
how do i locate my hard drive on my mac? i dont mean the physical hard drive i mean the folder? like on a its the "c" drive and its in My Computer. And how do i uninstall things?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
Finder > preferences....
Check the box to show it in the desktop. Otherwise it should show up in the left side of finder windows.

Most apps can be uninstalled just by throwing them in the trash. If not the installer will come with an uninstaller.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
To expand on what's already been said, Mac's don't have a C: drive like Windows. The default name for Mac hard drives are usually "Macintosh HD". All your software is usually placed in your Applications folder and as mentioned most applications can be uninstalled by deleting them. Most Mac applications are self contained programs so they are simply copied over rather being installed like Windows programs are. If you had to actually install a program then look to see if there was an uninstaller that came with it.

The only data that are leftover are usually preference folders and other data files created by the applications. You can either manually delete them yourself, use an application that will do it for you, or just leave the files since they usually don't take up a lot of space. These files are usually created in your Library folder if you want to find them.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
...These files are usually created in your Library folder if you want to find them.

I would not go around deleting files in the Library. Especially if you don't know what they are and what they do. This can lead to a lot of problems. Just expanding on what EndlessMac said. ^-^"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Yes that's true. I should have added a disclaimer. ;) It just depends on how knowledgable a person is with Macs. It's not something a new Mac user should do. Even some of the cleanup "uninstaller" applications can cause problems if you are not paying attention to what they are doing.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would not go around deleting files in the Library. Especially if you don't know what they are and what they do. This can lead to a lot of problems. Just expanding on what EndlessMac said. ^-^"

I agree completely unless the user knows exactly what they are doing and what files they are deleting. Otherwise best to leave it be. The configuration files take so little space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.