Wifi problem - MacBook Pro vs PS3 vs Smartphone

Reaction score
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can shed any light on this issue for me, I'll explain as clearly as I can but apologies if I don't sound particularly technical. This has actually been going on for years but I'd love to get to the bottom of it and fix it once and for all.

The problem varies but as an example this happens... I turn my MacBook Pro on and it connects straight away to my Wifi network, the internet then works just fine. I then turn my Playstation 3 on and it just won't connect - the error message states that there is no internet connection. I then turn off my MacBook - and the PS3 suddenly connects. If I then turn my MacBook back on it may or may not work, doesn't seem to be any pattern to it working or not. Often I just have to keep restarting all my wifi devices until they're all connected. Just to add further complication my Smartphone (HTC desire) does exactly the same, as does my iPod touch. There is no order to me turning on devices and them either working or not - it seems totally random.

Does anyone have a clue how I can fix this? I'm sure it's to do with dynamic IP addresses as the smartphone gets hung up on "obtaining IP address" - problem is I don't know how to fix it.

Thanks in advance, I haven't included any specific system/firmware details as I don't think they're relevant, but can do if needs be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What are you using as a wireless router? How many DHCP addresses are available? This is usually user configurable in the setup.

OP
H
Reaction score
It's a Belkin G+ MIMO router, no idea about the DHCP addresses I'm afraid. I can check if you could tell me how.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Sounds like they are both sharing the same IP address. You'll need to find somewhere in your setting that mention DHCP. And find two setting that say something to the effect of "IP Address Release" and IP Address Renew", press those and "Save" or "Refresh".

Maybe, someone with a Belkin router can better step you through the process, Belkin's support site is a bit tough to find support articles.

If you want to forego the steps above, you can always reset the router by pressing the reset button on the back, if you are okay with reconfiguring your router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.