Buying from an Apple Store ?s

Reaction score
we're buying a 24' iMac with a RAM upgrade and the video card upgrade, and a MacBook. I was at our Apple store yesterday and I was told we had to order the iMac online due to the video card upgrade.

my question is about the data transfer. we were told it would be done with the MacBook, but not the iMac, because it was purchased online.

if I'm forced to buy an upgraded machine from the Apple website, shouldn't my store just do the data transfer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I would think that they should, I am sure you could ask if the genius bar can to it for you. Make a regular appointment with them, bring your macbook and your imac and ask them to transfer that data for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
They should do it. If not, you just need a firewire cable - your new iMac will ask if you want to migrate stuff across the first time you boot it up. It's really easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
Believe that service is part of ProCare package.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
As I understand it, Apple stores are an extention of Apple for the consumer, not just a retail store that sells their products, so they should provide any service for their products sold online that they would provide or products purchased right in the store.

Reaction score
It might be easier to just do it yourself. All you need is a firewire cable, and the macs will take care of the rest. It literally walks you through it step by step when you first boot up the iMac. It involves:

-Connecting the cable from Mac A to Mac B
-Putting Mac A in firewire target disk mode
-Using setup assistant to automatically transfer the data

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.