splitting/mirroring a video signal

Reaction score
So I got a new HDTV with a VGA input. I have had an external monitor plugged into the Macbook Pro DVI port to expand my video and help multitask.

I bought a video splitter that plugs into my MBP DVI port and has two female inputs, one vga and one dvi. The intent is to mirror the signal normally sent to my ext monitor to the tv as well, without having to mess with plugging and unplugging. It's not working as expected. It can send a signal to each one through either port, but not at the same time. If I have both plugged into it, it will only send the signal to the TV.

Any feedback on why this isn't working and how I can get around it? Do I need a signal booster? And what's a good simple one you'd recommend?

It claims to be a splitter, and pretty simple. This is what I bought:
Page not found | EverydaySource.com©

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
The link you gave is broken, can you re-post the link?

- Simon

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Color me very skeptical about this working at all. In order for this to work the device would have to split a signal in two and then convert one of those two streams into a completely different type of signal. Lots of room for problems here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.