Crappy Magsafe Power Adapter

Reaction score
Grrrrr! I have to jiggle the power cord to be 'just in the right place' in order to get power. It's like something is wrong with the adapter or the cord...I'm not sure. I looked on Apple's website and they have TERRIBLE reviews for this adapter. Anyone have ideas on how to remedy this, other than buying a new one for $80??

Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Have you made sure there is no dirt or dust or any particles on either end of the MagSafe? Some have had metal particles and it shorted out.

I wonder if it's the cable itself or the plug/jack?

Do check for anything that might be in the way and be sure it's clean where the contacts are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Aluminum 2.4, 4g mem, 640 gig drive
Have you made sure there is no dirt or dust or any particles on either end of the MagSafe? Some have had metal particles and it shorted out.

I wonder if it's the cable itself or the plug/jack?

Do check for anything that might be in the way and be sure it's clean where the contacts are.

I agree... I have had small bits of shavings or what not stuck to the magnet and kept it from making good contact. A good spray with the "air in a can" did the trick. You would be surprised what the magnet end picks up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Probably a faulty unit. The only reason you hear people complain about the mag safe is most people aren't going to go on raving about a power cord. However, it has saved my backside millions of times over by now. It's one of the greatest parts about the MacBook line of laptops.

Reaction score
Probably a faulty unit. The only reason you hear people complain about the mag safe is most people aren't going to go on raving about a power cord. However, it has saved my backside millions of times over by now. It's one of the greatest parts about the MacBook line of laptops.

I agree 100%. the magsafe cord is great i used to trip over my pc cord all the time. never a issue with the mac. my friend who has has macs for many years told me he gets metal shavings in the charger from time to time but with a couple of minutes of cleaning it always works..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.